How loud is typical and still a pleasant sound?

kjohnsonhp

Yeah. From all that's been said, I think it safe to say that 100db "B" weighted at the listen point from vintage Klipsch with a clean source and signal chain is nice for most serious listeners. I had a couple of young teens go into pleasure spastics listening to Shwanda the Bagpiper from Pomp and Pipes at that level.

Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 2/10/2003 1:43:26 PM Mallett wrote:

As I've switched to recording at 24/88.2, I should be able to get from nat burp to elephant phart...

Dave

----------------

Should come in handy next time you record the Dallas Zoo Orchestra...

fini

You will lose some hearing if you continue at 100db in a small room for sure unless your alter person is Superman.

Great equip list but if the room is too small? Overkill? Does the music not need to breathe like a fine wine? My room is 20x16X20

I took my RS meter to work today and sure enough, my workhorse drill puts out 101db's. Oh well, I've done this now for 13 years, not deaf yet but have lost alot of the highs I know:)

Fini, is that you, well I saved some white "crud" from my geriatric people just for you....hahah just kiddn'

You mention Cabbage rolls. I assume they are tasty?? I'm an open kind of person, do they sell these in a deli?

----------------

On 2/12/2003 6:31:48 PM BryanJ wrote:

"You will lose some hearing if you continue at 100db in a small room for sure unless your alter person is Superman.

Great equip list but if the room is too small? Overkill? Does the music not need to breathe like a fine wine? My room is 20x16X20..."

----------------

I'm quite aware of my small room (12.5 x 11.5 x 8), but it's a temporary fix until I move my completed system into my formal living room in the near future. I don't listen to my system continuously at 100 dB (I do value my 20-20K hearing I still have), but there are times when I need it LOUD!9.gif

When I finally do relocate my system, I'll get a much smaller bedroom/home office audio system with vintage Heresy horns.2.gif

Yeah.....f, ok, no problem on this end.

This is my room. Lots of space and since this pic was taken a nice 12' sub. I'll get the camera out to update.

Ok here is my signature but not on my posts but ok in this instance.

Vintage 1980 Klipsch La Scala's

Eico HF-81 X 2 Yes two

Scott 222A 14watt/channel(WONDERFUL)

Sherwood S-5000 20 watts/channel(most excellent!!) My daily

AKAI reel to reel GX-747

AKAI CASSETTE GX-F91

AKAI CASSETTE GX-A5X

SONY 8MM VCR

HITACHI VCR

EICO AM MONO TUNER

EICO FM MONO TUNER

Bose 301's for ..well they are just there now:)

Now in my other room

AKAI AV301 integrated amp 60watts/channel, mhy school amp

Technics BD22 turntable

Bose 501's I gave to the kids. had to recap them since i burned out the caps.

This gets me through the day:)

BJ

post-10091-13819246495074_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/12/2003 8:32:22 PM BryanJ wrote:

I do not know .....f. This was a typo upon re reading upon posting.

I do not curse or immply or write this. Do not take it as some kind of statement.

BryanJ

----------------

Bryan,

You can go back and edit your posts to remove unwanted text, or to repair misspelled wurds.

fini

Sorry Fini and Mallet, I type spontaneously are re read later. My forte is not the english language as evident and I'm lazy in ck'n. So??? I will re read my post and then catch it. SOrry if it is too late for you sticklers:)

Dave, (Mallet), don't get your last post. I was referring to the other gent in the relatively small listening room who said 100 db does him no harm.?

Oh well, time to receed for a couple months and catch you all on the flip side as they say:) I do enjoy this forum the most of all.

So many tastes and strong opinions.

Bryan

Bryan,

I told you about the "edit" feature only because you had sort of apologized for a mis-type. I go back and change things often, as I notice I've typed something I didn't really intend. It's your option.

fini

BryanJ, glad you enjoy this Forum as much as I do...I learn alot from Newbies to Insane Posters; everyone has opinions, and I have no problems with helpful criticism. You were concerned about my nearfield setup at 100 dB levels...sure, it's much at times, but I don't listen to my music like that every time!

Right now I'm listening to Oleta Adams "Circle of One" jazz CD; with my RadioShack digital sound level meter set at C weighting and fast response, the highest peak it's hitting is 91 dB (about 87 dB on average), and that's more than loud enough. The majority of my listening is like this (or less), but I'd be a lier if I said that I don't enjoy a pipe organ recording at grand tutti or a large orchestral piece at full crescendo...even in my small room, my system still sounds robust and not fatiguing (to me).

Overkill? In this present setup, YES! But it's not intended for this room. Once I complete my system (are they ever complete?) and move it to my living room, I'll post new pictures (see my system progression/reduction on the Odds and Mods Forum). 4.gif

I did listen to Marilyn Manson "Lunchbox" cranked up to over 110 dB once...I had a headache after that...14.gif

Oh yeah, I didn't mention what a nice system you have! Very impressive.

I also noticed a '50's vintage Crosley AM tube radio on top of your entertainment center, along with two others that I didn't recognize (Emerson or Philco, maybe RCA Victor?)...I've got a small collection of old tube radios myself from Zenith, Crosley, Philco Transitones, GE, M. Ward Airlines, and from Emerson...my favorite thus far is this tiny wooden 1933 Emerson-Ingraham Model 25A mantle radio (cute), and except for its caps and cloth-covered power cord, it's all original, right down to its 4 tubes! It's obviously not a superhet, but it's still very sensitive with it's 10' wire antenna.

It's not the same though, listening to pop tunes and not big band music on these radios...no decent AM stations in the Lakeland/Tampa Bay area...7.gif

DBX does an AWESOME job on good rock recordings. Makes "Dark Side" downright scary at 1.4. The more compression on the recording, the more dramatic the improvement. However, even on things like chamber music with little or no compression, the background noise between tracks is virtually eliminated at 1.1 or so.

They show up on Ebay regularly.

They take a while to get competent with. It's easy to overdo it and you may be underwhelmed at first. I've been using them so long that I don't even give it any thought. First few notes and I twist it to the perfect position. No way I'd enjoy about 90% of my LP's as much without one.

Best regards,

Dave

Thanks :) Yeah, since that pic, I've added a Philco model 60 and zenith transoceanic by the crosley for company. I need to get on the philco, needs lots of work.

Update on the RS db meter. Wife was able to ck out the calibration device they use on thier db meter before going out in the field. Bruel&Kjaer.(German made).

The calibration device is a small square where the nose of the RS unit went right in and docked. Maybe some standardization there? Wife said that is correct. Two test ouput tones are at 94db +- .20db and 20db's above that at 114db.

RS unit was right on at the 94 db. I did it 10 times. Now at 114, the RS unit measured 112. Not bad I thought for the price.

Bryan