Alright, time to brainstorm

Cory

Well after a year of dancing around in audio land with the others, my Promedias have begun to lack the, how you say, oomph and quality that I desire. So here's what I want to do.

I want to get a moderately low-end 2-channel receiver and be able to hook it up to my computer, aka a 3.5 mm audio connection.

So heres what I need:

Receiver recommendation

Bookshelf speaker recommendation for that particular receiver

Cable recommendation

Essentially what Im asking is for everyone to pitch their desktop dream system

any thinkers out there? 3.gif

You forgot to mention one important thing... budget!!

A receiver will definitely help, but maybe you should look at a slightly higher end used unit, like a Rotel, NAD, etc... as two channel wont be too expensive. Speakers will depend on how much you want to spend and where you live... as here in Canada, its hard to beat Paradigm and PSB for quality / value...

As for a dream system" I'd go with:

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum

Rotel RMB-1075

Klipsch Klipschorn Fronts

Klipsch Heresy II Centre

Klipsch Heresy II Surrounds

SVS Dual CS-Ultra Package subwoofers

But I doubt many people would put that much into a PC audio... 9.gif

I would think a 2-channel receiver and two nice bookshelfs would be plenty and I would look for something used and low priced....or something you already own.

I put my old stuff to work in that manner and I haven't been able to justify paying for PC speakers just to listen to music...I think my old stereo sounds better.

* Sony receiver I had in the closet (not a recommended product but for me it was free)

* Boston Acoustic A60's -- these work very well and they aren't deep (again I had them...they sound great in this situation)

I also used Sennheiser headphones hooked up to my PC for a couple years because I didn't want to wake the family.

I would think speakers and a receiver could be found for $100 total plus shipping.

You are sitting within 3feet of the speakers so this is a unique listening situation. For audiophile listening I assume one would want a more traditional setup.

2-channel receivers are pretty cheap because folks want DTS. I have a Denon AVR2000 I bought new about 6 years ago for around $700. In 2-channel mode I would assume it sounds close to the 280x which has replaced it, but since it's Dolby only it sells for about $100. Some like the older 2-channel H/K which is more like $50.

Add a nice book shelf speaker at a low price connected to a nice sound card and you've got an alternative to PC speakers.

I'm of the same mind as KJohnson. Particularly about the value of experimenting with something you have on hand.

IMHO, the cable issue is nothing special. I just don't ascribe to super wire.

Further, IMHO, any number of low cost two channel receivers would do well. Nothing special is required.

With any bookshelf speaker (or bigger), you are putting them to an application which is a bit oddball. These are designed to be listened to at a distance greater than what you'll be using. So it is difficult to predict how good they'll sound. They might be okay.

For example, you will not get the bass you want out of shoe box sized speakers. On the other hand, with bigger ones, it might be difficult to get the tweeter aimed at your listening position.

I'm not saying you can't find something which will work. It is just unpredicatable.

Gil