RSW-15 as a coffeetable?

FrankD

Hi all.

Just moving into a new (smaller) place, I have a strange question, so bear with me.

If the only place that my RSW-15 fits in the room is directly in front of a couch... and the most tempting thing in the world to do to it, is place ice cold beer bottles on it (which I could not stand) --- I wonder what would happen if I got a custom-cut piece of 1/2" tempered glass to sit on top of the thing, spaced with little rubber spacers?

I have noticed that the unit is pretty stable even at pretty high volume, but I would probably discourage anyone putting anything on it when watching the Matrix... I guess I am wondering about how the glass alone would fare on top of the thing, if it were turned up (which it is going to be.)

Would I be better off taking it off when I know I am going to be listening loud, and planning for an easy take off method, or do ya'll think it will be alright? Has anyone done this?

I know that this is far from ideal, and I am going out on a limb here, but this is important for the WAF for the entire room, as I am sure that you understand.

Thanks

F

Frank, you have a dilema we all share, where to put all our wonderful sound equipment. Here is another approach to your problem. Get a nice piece of wood, instead of glass. Glass is tough to work with, quite fragile, and very subject to harmonics. Get some wood that suits your fancy, oak, maple, pine, walnut, cherry, cedar, are all available at local stores and wood working shops. Use a router to cut a 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep groove around the entire surface of the edge, about 3/4" in from the actual outer edge. This will serve as your spill catcher. Make the total size of the square just a little less than the actual outer dimentions of the sub. This will lessen bumping of the top piece. Get a 3/8" thick piece of steel that is about 2" smaller in size than the total outside dimentions of the wood, drill six holes around the perimeter for screws, paint it to prevent rust, then glue, and screw, it to the bottom of the wood. This will add weight to help stability and help when beer, pizza, three remotes and a pair of feet are also on top. Put soft rubber, or wool, feet just tall enough to keep the wood about 1/4" above the sub. Finish the edge with a router, stain to match other furniture, and you now have a nice cover that is removable, washable and protective of the sub. My biggest concern would be with the wires. If the wires are exposed they always seem to be a big trip hazard, no matter how hard you try to cover them. Another off the wall approach is to mount the sub to the ceiling. Put it in the corner like a hanging plant and you will soon forget it is there. The only problem is dust can collect on the down (now up) firing driver, which means you will need to play it loud once in a while to clean out the cob webs. Good luck.

I would give serious second thoughts to placing anything liquid above any piece of expensive electronic equipment. To wit: my S.O. placed plants on top of both of my K-horns. The problem with this was that liquids have a curious tendency to flow downwards due to gravitational effects. The result is that I now have large dark brown (planter-sized) circular stains on top of both of my clear oak K-horns. Now I am not all that sure that this is a direct comparison to your situation, but I can guarantee you that liquids are still gonna flow downwards just as easily onto an RSW-15 as they are onto K-horns. I can live with some cosmetic damage on my speakers, but I for one would not be willing to test whether or not an RSW-15 woofer is compatible with beer...a KSW-15 maybe, but not an RSW.

I did the EXACT same thing your asking about for years. In fact I still use a 20+ year old Cerwin Vega RSW-12B with smoked tempered glass top as a coffee table or end table although it is disconnected now. It is a passive sub, so managing all those wires was a pain, but with yours just get a length of shielded RG-? (can't remember if it is 6 or 8) coax and your good to go. I bought a 100' cable with ends at Home Depot for a minimal amount. Then just get some screw-on male RCA's and it's done. Let us know...