DVD Player for strictly audio

Abuzah

Hey guys! I just found out today that my old DVD player doesn't play MP3 CDs, so I'm in the market for a new DVD player. While the Panasonic RP82 looks great, I can't find one for the life of me. I'm under the impression that using a Coaxial output is best in case I decide to upgrade to more than two speakers in the future; if this ideal is true, this rules out the Panasonic XP30, XP50, and Denon 1600. I've almost got my sights set on the Denon DVD-900, but have heard so many terrible things about the video quality, build quality, chroma bug etc. If I had no intentions of using this DVD player for video, but just for the MP3 playback ability, would the DVD-900 give me any problems? Any other DVD players I should consider? Thanks!

My brother just bought the Pioneer DV-656A for $149 on eBay.

It plays DVD/DVD-Audio/CD/CD-R/CD-RW, and even MP3 CD files on CD-R/RWs.

It got 3-2 pulldown Progressive Scan and a 24bit/192kHz audio DAC; its video DAC is 10bit/54MHz. 540-line resolution, and built in DD/DTS.

It took the place of his 2nd generation Panasonic DVD and his AMC 24/96 CD players.

If you are primarily going to play MP3 cds, I'm not sure I would spend too much cash on a player.

If you want regular CD (I guess that would be redbook) playback then this board and others seem to really like the Rega Planet CD for it's warm sound that matches well with our horns. It's not a DVD player and you you should check to see if it plays MP3s.

If you want high resolution playback then you might look for one of the new ones that plays both DVD-A and SACD.

I also would make sure you are truely concerned about the chroma bug before ruling out units with that flaw. The bug was not noticed for some time until pointed out. Many don't notice it.

----------------

On 2/14/2003 10:22:19 PM Abuzah wrote:

..."I'm looking for players that are sub $300. jt1stcav, is your brother happy with that DVD player? How is the audio?..."

----------------

He loves the audio playback! That's why he also got rid of his CD player, along with his old DVD player. And with it's cheap pricetag (www.audioadvisor.com sells it for $199), it's a no-brainer!

That Pioneer looks great, I think I'll be picking that up! Now, just to clarify something, what is the primary difference between the coaxial output and regular RCA output? Is it just a difference in quality? I was told that running 5.1 out of the receiver is impossible with just regular RCAs, is this true? Thanks so much for your help!

Oh damn...yer barkin' up the wrong tree there! I'm strictly a 2-channel guy (my 2 brothers who live in my house have their HT systems, so I never bothered getting into that portion of audio). I know diddly-squat about DVD players and AV receivers...I assume coaxial output is superior to RCAs. There are lots of HT buffs here in this Forum that know that stuff like the back of their hand. Hopefully they can answer your questions...sorry.

All I know is he loves his new Pioneer. Check out the reviews; they speak for themselves. It's worth a listen!

As far as the coaxial thing goes, typically you would not be running it out of the reciever so much as into the reciever.

Out of the DVD player is more likely.

Coaxial is just a digital signal on an rca jack (or sometimes a bnc).

Some recievers and DVD/CD players have an optical digital jack that uses the Toslink style fiber optic cable.

There are people who would argue that a Coaxial digital connection sounds better than an Optical digital connection, I tend to think that if it's a digital connection it does not make a difference.

As to whether or not a coaxial connection is "better" then an rca connection would depend on the DAC(Digital to Analog Converter) in your reciever.

Some DVD players happen to have a six channel(5.1) output on the back as well to be used with recievers that do not do the surround decoding themselves but do have a six channel input(often labeled as external decoder) and the speaker outputs to match.

For myself I would not be chasing after something to play mp3's as I don't think they sound that great at all.

Back in the day I thought mp3's were the best thing since sliced bread.

I would listen to them on my little plastic computer speakers and I thought they sounded just like CD quality audio.

The truth of the matter was that CD's sounded just like mp3 quality when played through those little speakers, even a good turntable would propably sound like junk when played through them.

Once I got some real speakers hooked up to my computer I was able to hear the difference.

That being said the high bit rate mp3's (256 on up) don't sound to bad.

Oh well just my $0.02

Peace, Josh