Chorus 1 or KLF 30?

flappycars

Hello,

I currently use Chorus 1 and on UK ebay there is a pair of KLF 30's. My question is this. How will they sound in a sxteen foot square living room compared to my Chorus 1? What type of sound difference can I expect? I like all kinds of music. I use a single ended valve amp,

Cheers

John

If it's any help, KLF-20s were not an improvement over my Forte-IIs. I think the passive radiator bass is faster and thought the Forte-II was smoother. The KLF-30 does use a tractrix mid, as does the Forte-II, but not the Chorus-I. Someone elso may be able to compare Chorus I and II.

There was one suggestion here that the Chorus is a Cornwall with passive radiator bass. That may be hard to improve on.

leok

Leok,

The Chorus I is a ported speaker, using the K-79-K tweeter and the K-57-K squawker - the same as the Cornwall II (I own both of these). The Chorus and Cornwall use different woofers (the Chorus I uses the same woofer as the Cornwall pro, IIRC - the K48 is what is in the Chorus I). The Chorus II uses a passive radiator with tractrix horns.

So yes, the Chorus and Cornwall II are very similar to one another (which is why I use Cornwall II's as mains and Chorus as surrounds in my HT). The Chorus bass is tighter and not quite as deep - the Cornwall II's have a bit more "slam".

I have not demoed KLF's, so I can't help you there. I understand that they are pretty close to the Cornwalls in output and have quite a punch. If HornEd is reading the boards, he could tell us - he owns both. My guess is that these are in a similar "league", though. Doubtful that it's an "upgrade", but if it is, it's a slight upgrade. LaScala, Belle, or Klipschorn? Now THAT'S an upgrade.

Although only indirectly related to the original question, I've owned KLF-30's and Cornwall I's (1977) at the same time and did quite a bit of listening to both in the same room, same set-up etc. I thought the 30's had a bit deeper bass. Otherwise, I preferred the Cornwalls for overall warmth and smoothness. They just make sound more effortlessly and sound more transparant.

Hope this helps,

Mace