OUTLAW

bhimeli@aol.com

I have something to say.... the 950 ROCKZ!! I don't have the 770... I have 2 ATI amps 1504 & 1506 on loan to me. The ATI amps are great but I'll probably get the 770 for color matching. I have been using this combo for about 3 weeks with:

Fronts: RF3II

Center: RC3II

Surround: RB3

Rear surround: Polk In ceiling

SUB: PSB

TV & DVD's get the most use with the occasional audio CD listening. PLII with Cirrus (adds rear surround) is awesome in Cinema & music mode. I listen to a lot of satellite music in PLIIC music mode at ear bleeding volume and it is about the cleanest thing I have ever heard. DVD's are awesome and I find myself being WOWed by the simplest things like TV commercials :P My last receiver was a Pioneer 811s. It had all the surround modes but a lot of hiss & background noise. The 950 is crisp & clean with no background noise unless the source is bad. Shortly after getting the 950 I hooked up the 811s and did a full weekend of A/B listening to make sure the Outlaw was for me & it was clearly superior. $500.00 addl. superior??? Yep! I'm glad I stumbled on Outlaw. I have seen the 950 compared to Pre/Pros priced at 2-3 times the cost. I originally started researching when someone on this forum suggested a 1050. As a bonus, the Outlaw service & community is great.

Jeff

So far, ATI is the only amp I've used so I can't compare it to anything. I wouldn't describe it as harsh tho. This is interesting cause I will be buying an amp sooner or later. I never really grasped the concept of different amps having different sounds. I would expect the Outlaw amp to sound similar to the ATI. It is my understanding that ATI makes or designed Outlaws amps with some variations in the parts used.

Jeff

My perception is that there are two decisions:

1. pre/pro - the 950 uses the same chip set as the Rotel and others which is different from the Anthem and Elite 97Txi. Some like the Anthem/Elite chipset and those on the Outlaw board would debate if it is truely better.

The price of the 950 is certainly compelling and vs a receiver you have the ability to swap out pre/pro while still leveraging the amp investment. DSP is a changing game and expensive recievers tend to depreciate with major DSP changes.

The features of the 950 would need to be reviewed to make sure there isn't some unique feature you really want. This varies by person. Gonk on the OUtlaw board has a nice matrix of features.

2. Amp - here I've heard good things but wonder if Klipsch owners really need 200watts. We don't seem to be the big watts buyers...just the opposite. I run the Outlaw 1050. I'd love to give the 770 a test drive.

I was tempted to get the 950 and mate it with a nice lower power and lower price amp.

I run the 950 with a Marantz MM9000 and a MA6100.

I used KLF 20s (which have changed to Fortes) and I thought

that the sound was great. To clean up some space

I am thinking of selling the two Marantz amps and

get the Outlaw 7100 (7 X 100w) amp when it comes out

the end of this month or the beginning of next month.

100 watts should be enough to drive the Fortes to extreme

levels without any problem.

If I do this, I will post a comparison review.