New Klipschorns

DTLongo

Hello all. Klipsch has advised my dealer that my new pair of Klipschorns are due to be produced o/a February 21. Ordered with a 1/3 down payment way back last October 25, maybe these speakers will actually reach me here in Maryland in early March. Fingers crossed.

A totally irrational splurge, these speakers cost as much as a baby grand piano. But, they have been my "dream" speakers since audiophile teeenagerhood in Boston (I am now 60). Go for it.

In a straight-stereo listening room the K-horns will be replacing a nice sounding pair of Bose 901 Series VI speakers and, more recetnly (temporarily,) a pair of classic Large Advents. Any of you with experience of direct comparison of the K-Horns with those speakers or with AR-3A-type classic speakers, please post your views.

I hope the K-Horns will not disappoint! I will post my impressions after I've gotten and lived with them for a while.

Regard, /s/ Thomas Longo in Ocean Pines, MD.

Hi Tom:

The Khorns are clearly a better speaker than the Bose or Advent, however whether you fully appreciate them is another story. The Khorns are VERY transparent meaning they will let you hear all the warts in your system chain.

Personally, I never cared for Klipsch until I heard them with SET amplification. I simply don't care for their sound over solid-state amplification. So if you aren't currently using tubes, try to get your hands on some for a listen.

Good luck!

Thomas:

They will definitely be worth the wait! Do a search "klipschorn" in the forums to read my review on the new khorns. I got my pair about 2 mo.s ago and I must say that I am more pleased than I imagined. I have not heard the speakers you have mentioned, but I have owned some of the finest speakers made, and I can say, without hesitation, that the Klipschorns are among the best. They will recreate the evnt with more "musicality" than virtually anything else out there. ENJOY!!

Thomas:

They will definitely be worth the wait! Do a search "klipschorn" in the forums to read my review on the new khorns. I got my pair about 2 mo.s ago and I must say that I am more pleased than I imagined. I have not heard the speakers you have mentioned, but I have owned some of the finest speakers made, and I can say, without hesitation, that the Klipschorns are among the best. They will recreate the evnt with more "musicality" than virtually anything else out there. ENJOY!!

Thomas,

Hey, maybe we're related! I owned a pair of Bose 901-IV's for about 37 minutes9.gif twenty years or so ago. I also had a long relationship (for me, anyway) with a pair of "New Advents" before that. In fact, I became so disenchanted with my 901's that I drug my Advents out of storage and set them up next to the Bose. Guess what - "Bose 901's For Sale"! Those Advents were a real classic.

Not to the extent of the venerable klipschorn, though; which is another thing we have in common. I finally got a pair in '98 after first being exposed to them during my impressionable and foolish youth. Some experiences just stick with you, don't they?

Now as for your question: Have no fear; You will LOVE your klipschorns! In my opinion, they are simply the "gold standard" in loudspeakers. I've always tried to hear a lot of different speakers through the years, and no doubt, there are many, many fine ones available, but nothing equals the mighty klipschorn. They do have a unique sound, but that is because they are a unique design, a design that unapologetically pursues the bite and kick of live music. Nothing I know of at twice the price can equal them in terms of clarity, micro and macro dynamics, flat, natural midrange, and chest-pounding, undistorted bass down to 30hz.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...and keep us posted on your experience, so we can all enjoy them with you!

Apples and oranges. Big apples versus little oranges.

Very big difference in attack, details, dynamics, sensivity, soundstage and imaging. Klipsch big old horns come closer to the very best dream systems that I have heard. My memories of 901s and recent glimpses remind me that the 901 is all about casting a wide soundstage. Attack is faster on the horns, distortion much lower, loud volumes easier to sustain, dynamics enticing, making details come from the background, extreme sensivity (and all the changes to the rules you have always known) is tricky at first. Soundstage is just cast wide, it is wide (but surprisingly shallow).

Compared to the Khorns, everything about the Advents I recall is rendered politely, from bass to drums to horns to cymbals. Nothing intrusive. Not dull, but laid-back. The high-end is soft, without sounding too rolled-off. Today many people might call this a British sound. Accurate, polite, not punchy or boomy.

There once was a used stereo shop in Cambridge that was wonderful den of iniquity, with bespectacled MIT kids hooking up one antique component after another. If it is still there and you dont have tube amplifiers, I would run over there as fast as I could without losing my hat and start pricing things out.

2.gif

Thank you all who have replied to this string so far especially JMSLAW, James D. McCall and Colin.

Yes, my large Advents have a "laid-back" sound. Back in the Seventies commentators described Advents as having a reserved "New England" sound as compared to more up-front "California sound" speakers such as JBL. For not too critical listening, though, they still favorably impress even today. Rather remarkable clean bass, too.

As to the Bose 901's, in the 70's I owned a pair of 901 Series III's. They WERE flawed. Nice bass but sloppy and flawed midrange and highs. Years later I had occasion to try the 901 Series VI's and was much more impressed. I don't know what tricks Bose did with a new equalizer and other factors, but the Series III problems were gone. I still have my VI's purchased in 1988. They are quick, clear and fill the room with excellent dispersion. You can walk directly across the face of the speakers from one front corner of the room to the other and the sound quality does not change one whit.

My new Klipschorns, of course, will blow away the Advents in terms of clarity, attack, presence and dynamics. But I am really interested in how they will compare, to my ear, to the 901 VI's.

It will be fun. But I will at last have my "dream" Klipschorns, and my two grown sons are already twitting each other over who will inherit 'em.

----------------

On 2/19/2003 8:16:22 AM DTLongo wrote:

It will be fun. But I will at last have my "dream" Klipschorns, and my two grown sons are already twitting each other over who will inherit 'em.
----------------

I'll bet nobody is concerned over who will "inherit" the Bose!

9.gif

btw, hasn't bose finally pulled the plug on the 901?