Ripping and Encoding

Wintermute

Wintermute,

There are many programs that will give satisfactory results, but I use Nero to do my ripping. It is a great CD burning program with lots of options (more than most people would feel comfortable with, it's pretty technical), but it's very flexible.

To get the best quality, rip your mp3's at variable bitrate. I've been ripping mine at variable bitrate, highest quality, and after much listening, I haven't been able to tell any difference (I'm not saying there isn't any audible difference, I'm saying I can't hear it...and I'm pretty picky).

Of course these files are much bigger, it takes about 100 to 120 MB per CD, but you need to sacrifice something for quality.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I have just started using CDEx. Rips at 320Kbps very quickly and makes a folder for the artist and then album and for me names each file

Artist - Album - Track # - Title which makes it QUITE easy to organize.

MediaJukebox has also been quite a great program for me in the past years. CDEx is just a smaller program and seems to be more reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about "Easy CD Creator 6"? Is it compatable with XP? I had heard there were some problems with Creator 5 and XP. I was kind of interested in Nero, but what I've been reading indicates it is very technical and somewhat difficult to absorb if you're among the technically challenged (as I am at times). A friend of mind had Creator 5 (but I think his system had an earlier version of Windows - not XP)and he loves it. I've seen it and it seems to be pretty easy to use. Creator 6 is rather new. Anyone tried it?

lovedrummin,

I recently tried out Nero's (5.5 and up) newest version, and it has an interface called Nero express. I can tell you that it's the easiest interfact I've seen thus far. I still prefer the more technical interface, but you can't beat the express interface for ease of use. Check out this review on CNET: Click Here for Review

I use exact audio copy. It's the best ripper out there. Want to know more?? Go to this link:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

This link explains why you should use EAC:

http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modules.php?op=modload&name=Elite_DAE/eac&file=faq

Also, a very good read about the CD and CDR formats in general:

http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Lots of reading here, but it explains this much better than I can.

Thanks for all the info, links and websites folks. Looks like I have a good bit of reading ahead of me. Should be worth it though. Right now I'm just burning what I can with Windows Media Player 9, but it seems rather limited. I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons and having more fun. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

CD is a digital format therefore there is no significant increase in encoding quality between your DVD or CDRW. Your computer simply takes the bits (1's and 0's) from the CD and encodes them to MP3 or whatever other format you select. If you were to copy one CD to another, there would be no performance degradation. However, there is a performance degradation when you're encoding from CDDA to MP3 since MP3 is basically a compression technology that allows you to have near CD quality while taking up less space.

As far as selecting either the DVD or CDRW, I would select the faster drive speed or the one that isn't as sensitive to abnormalities on the CD itself (ie. scratches).

I've been doing some research, and I learned that nero uses the Fraunhofer encoder, which is the first, but not the best, MP3 encoder. I found that it has some flaws when ripping in VBR (Variable Bit Rate) mode. I have therefore switched to Exact Audio Copy, which uses the LAME encoder. EAC is a great little program, as mentioned above, for those of you who take your MP3 quality seriously (as I do, because I stream my music off of my PC with an Audiotron, great product). Check it out.

Wintermute,

If you have Nero Burning Rom, then use a program called CD-Speed which will measure the performance of your cdrom drive. Run it on both drives to see which one is the best. If you don't have the program then you can always do a search for CD Speed which is freeware and downloaded it.

As for ripping, I'd use either EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or CDex. Both are great ripping programs and free. If you do use either one, I would highly recommand that you also downloaded LAME. it's an mp3 encoder that is regarded as one of the best quality ones if not the best. when you search for LAME, get the "DLL" version of it and dump it into the directory of one of the above programs.