Fisher KX-200

rigma

Its not to bad a amp at all !! But if it has indeed been sitting unused for 20 years I wouldn't just fire it up !! It may or may not go up in smoke ! It would be a big gamble there are many parts in these old amps that have to be replaced and reformed on a variac by slowly applying power ! Applying direct wall voltage can prove lethal to various parts in the amp. But for free it sure sounds like you can afford to either rebuild it yourself or have it done !

Craig

Glad someone brought this up. Quite frankly, I liked the sound of the old Fisher tube stuff. I think it sounded way better than the EICO & Scott stuff thats constantly being pushed by certain people on this forum. Fisher used some unique tube complements too like the 8417 which Quicksilver Audio used in their early amps (early 80's).

One of my best friends got rid of his Fisher around 1972. Traded it in on a Pioneer receiver. Things never sounded the same again. In fact it was that event which eventually led me back to tubes.

Like Craig said......use a variac to restart those (or any amp for that matter which hasn't been used for a long time).

Another thing you can do is the old light bulb trick. In fact, I'd suggest using this inconjunction with the variac. Take a regular incandescent light bulb socket & wire it SERIES, on one side of regular 2 wire lampcord. Use a 15-25 watt bulb. Plug this into the electic wall outlet & plug the amp into the series wired lamp. When the amp is turned on, the light will glow brightly. As the power supply caps re-form, the lamp will gradually reduce in brightness to a dim glow. This indicates that the caps have re-formed. As an extra bonus, the lamp also basically acts as a current limiter. Should anything on the amp blow, the lamp will burnout & stop the current flow. I use both a variac & the series wired lamp.

Arto,

Now that is double safety !! You can accomplish the same safety margin by replacing the fuse in the amp from its standard 2 1/2 to 3 amp slow blow with a 1 1/2 amp standard fuse for the first few adjustments on the variac. If it blows the fuse lower the voltage until it doesn't. Besides if it blows the fuse you better plan on new cans anyway because there to far gone for reforming.

Fisher amps are nice pieces but like everything its all subjective !

Craig

Understood Craig. The light bulb thing is nice because it also acts as a indicator of when the caps have re-formed. Lots of guys just use the light bulb in series without a variac as a cheap way around. But you're right, an amp that hasn't been turned on for 25 years may not be able to be re-formed. The caps will probably need replacing anyway.