27" Panasonic Tau vs Sony Wega vs Samsung DynaFlat

no1jmv

Ok I posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding a similar topic, but now I have decided I am going to go ahead and stay analog with this purchase. So now I am just looking for opinions on the these 3 analog televisions.

1) Panasonic Tau

2) Sony Wega

3) Samsung DynaFlat

Prices are all similar so that's not an issue. The only issue is both the Sony and Samsung have 16:9 modes to increase resolution on DVDs. The Panasonic, my favorite before considering this feature, lacks this 16:9 mode. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this feature, ESPECIALLY on a 27" set. Does it make a significant difference? A big enough difference to get the different TV?

Also any opinions regarding any of the three in general are MORE than welcome. Thank you so much.

Josh

I own a 32' Tau, and it does include the 16:9 mode. Is this feature not included in the 27' models?

In terms of picture, these things rock. They're factory settings really suck, but once you adjust them with a calibration disk, they're awesome. It is tricky to set the contrast, though, as the whites tend to bleed if set too high. Overall, a great set.

Hmm. What is the 16:9 mode referred to in Panasonic language? Perhaps they call it something different. The model I am looking at is the CT-27SX12 which can be seen here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11100124&m=1&cat=24&scat=27

or

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/shop/NewDesign/ModelTemplate.asp?ModelId=15220&show_all=false&product_exists=True&active=1&ModelNo=CT-27SX12&CategoryId=2960

Do you see anything that indicates a 16:9 mode. How is the mode accessed through the menu on your 32 inch? When I go to the store next I'll flip through the menu and see if I can find the same thing.

Thanks

On my 32' tau, there is an option for screen mode (don't know the exact wording) which can be set to 4:3, 16:9, or auto. I have it set to auto. And on my DVD player, I have the output set to 16:9 auto(the auto is so it doesn't output 16:9 unless it is an anamorphic source). When I put in an anamorphic widescreen movie, the TV compresses the resolution. If I set the DVD player to 4:3 letterbox, the TV doesn't. You can tell because when you press play after stoping it in 16:9 auto, right before the movie resumes, the screen compresses to 16:9.

I know this isn't the subject of this discussion... but quick question about your aspect ratio comments... I recently purchased a Widescreen TV and watch several DVDs, and the aspect ratio isn't correct... I have to "strech" to fill the screen, even 16:9 on my 16:9 tv has black bars... what's up with this? What setting do I need to change?

16:9 is the most common 'widescreen' format. it equates to the 1.85:1 ratio on most widescreen movies. But if you have movies such as Star Wars 1 or 2, Fellowship Of the Ring, Gladiator, etc., these movies are in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio. This is 'narrower', and you will have thin bars at the top and the bottom of your widescreen TV. Hope this helps.