hissing/static...will the monster cable upgrade fix this?

najibs

Hello Folks!

I bought 4.1's 2 days ago and I am already annoyed to death by the static coming from the 2 front speakers, mainly the front left control speaker...it's just a constant hiss. I've tried switching the cables, shutting off the computer, but the hissing goes on. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Are my speakers defective?

Also, if I purchase the monster cable upgrade kit, will that get rid of it?

THanks,

Najib

no not monster cables.

The most probable reason why your speakers are giving out so much static is because your soundcard is not up to par with the speakers. The same thing happened to me when i got my 4.1s... the hissing was so loud and i was quick to blame the speakers. However, I soon found out that the reason for the hiss was not my speakers, it was my inferior sound blaster 512 sound card.

Apparently, the speakers are so good at amplifying audio, that it picked up the crappiness of my old sound card.

My advice to you: buy a GOOD sound card.

I bought an audigy 1, but then returned it for an audigy 2. I found that the audigy 2 is well worth the $99 i spent. It sounds much better than the first audigy (audigy 2 has 6.1 THX certification, 24bit, 96khz playback, whereas audigy 1 is a 5.1 sound card with 16 bit. 48khz playback).

Try changing your soundcard first... if that doesnt work, maybe monster cables will help.

oh i didnt read the part about u shutting down ur pc and still the hissing goes on.... sorry....

still, try the soundcard idea, it never hurts to try. If the soundcard swap does not work, atleast you have deduced the problem down to fewer probable causes.

dont give up on the 4.1s yet! 1.gif

thanks for the tip but i don not think it is the soundcard because even when i unplug the speakers from the soundcard, the hissing is still there. I'm convinced that it has to be the cheap cable that comes with the system. I just need to make sure that'll fix it before i spend another $60. I'm just about ready to give up on these speakers and return them and get Z-560's maybe...

Regards,

Najib

try exchanging the system.

dont buy the monster cables yet.

the 4.1s OWN the 560s... trust me (check bbs regarding 560s and you will surely find that there are SO many problems with their subwoofer and "altered" wattage ratings).

i have the 4.1s and i DO NOT regret my purchase. They do not hiss under any volume level (with the audigy 2, although i havent tried to turn it up without being hooked up to my pc)... 4.1s are probably the best 4.1 speakers on the market at the moment.

never give up.... 2.gif

I have the exact same problem. It is most likely the speakers, not the cables or the soundcard or PC. I have two sets of 4.1s. One set sounds great (extremely soft lower pitched hiss that you can only hear from about 1 inch away) and the other has a high pitched hiss that I can hear about 10 feet away when the room is quiet (even when the PC is off). I also bought the 4.1 monster cable set and it didn't help the hissing problem at all. I talked to Klipsch about this and they said 9 times out of 10 it is the sub and where you connect your speakers to it. They said to send them in and they will fix/replace them for free.

all the people who have the hissing/static problem, have you noticed any degradation in the high frequency response..... it's just that i also have the same problem and the high frequency responce is just not that good (don't worry the problem is not the sound card).... and now i don't enjoy the exact same MP3 songs as much as i used to....

i have the same problem but my main problem is in the speaker wire.

I only have 2 of the 4 speakers going because of bad speaker wires, i though for awhile it was the sats themself but when i started playing the hot potato game with the wires(switch to different sats) my speakers work fine other then that damn hissing sound.

I never had any problems with mine until the wire started going bad, so my first step is wire.

BTW, soundcard has nothing to do with these problems, i've used 3 different cards and they all do the same(from old-new).

Now my question is, where do i buy replacement speaker wires since the klipsch has "ends" unlike any speaker wires i'm use to seeing?

like the site? check out the new version!

http://www.soundwise.org/beta/html/

http://www.soundwise.org/beta/html/mods.htm

http://www.soundwise.org/beta/html/rigs.htm

Stereo requires two speakers, meaning it carries the right and left speaker channels, in the end that turns to two mono channels, mono left and mono right. stereo is just the two together.