Help me eliminate Static / Hiss brand new 4.1

dtushing

Hi,

I've just bought these Promedia 4.1's from Circuit City, this is my second

set, one of the sats didn't work with the first set so I exchanged it.

I have an A78NX motherboard and I'm using the noboard sound card.

The Green and Purple plugs are connected to the same color on the sound card.

Setup at 4 speaker mode.

There is a noticable hiss / static crackle coming from all the satellites.

It's really not cool. I can't live with it.

I've tried plugging the sub into a different outlet, haven't tried making

new speaker wire yet though. It's a hiss, not a hum like a ground loop or

something.

Also if I move the volume slider up in windows I can do kinda like DJ

scratching with it :-) Can you picture that ?

I have to up the volumes on the sound card to almost maximum to be able to

have the setting on the 4.1 at 12 o'clock.

Also when I shutdown windows the entire system POP's like when you turn a

PA sound system off, other computer speaker systems don't do this so what's

up with that ?

Can you guys offer and help or are these just going back to the store

and me buying some other brand ?

Thanks

Darren

Guest Damen Bonner

Darren,

Try to use your Promedia syetm with another source, anything with a headphone jack. This could as well be a sound card problem. Take the green mini plug and plug into the headphone jack, if the static is still there, it's a problem with the speakers, if you do not have staitic the problem is your sound card.

yeah, after reading your post, I could see that it could be your bad onboard soundcard (i dont care if its asus, abit, msi, epox, biostar, gigabyte, or whatever other motherboard manufacturer - onboard sound should never be paired with klipsch - you start up with bad quality output, u end up with LOUD and discernable bad quality output).

when i first got my 4.1s, i had upgraded my soundcard from the onboard asus to a soundblaster 512. When i plugged in my system, i was very disappointed... I heard crack, snaps, pops (especially when shutting down windows, or some other large program i.e. games)... hissing was unbearable (even at low volume)... I was like, "I paid 200 for this??"

And then it struck me, my soundcard was the problem.... the speakers were merely amplifying whatever crappiness was present in my 512 - thats all. So off I went, I bought the audigy2 and everything has been flawless since then. Very satisifed, very happy, very content. Klipsch make good speakers - sometimes too good, that you end up revamping your soundcard and your mp3 collection... stupid 96kbps files - only 192 kbps files will do from now on =).

Try buying a soundcard (u could always return it if it doesnt do anything) and test your speakers out again. Do not skimp on the soundcard, you do not want to create any bottlenecks for your audio system. Buy an audigy (u can find it for under a 100) or an audigy2 (around 130).

Good luck!2.gif

Hey there.

I had the same problem as you except it was the control speaker that was hissing. Many people blamed the soundcard (I used onboard audio too from an Asus mobo) but try unpluging the speakers from the sound card and you'll see that they still hiss probably. IF that's the case, then its the speakers that are defective. I emailed Klipsch and the only response I got was to exchange them!? Geez, it's unreal how the Promedia line of speakers just has problem after problem, however I have to admit they sound great though...I ended up exchanging them at Best Buy, and now only the rear left hisses a bit, but not that noticeable. I'm still rambling in my mind if I should get the Logitech Z-560's, who knows...Yesterday I got an Audigy2 soundcard, and boy does it change the sound!!!! The quality is superb now.

ANyways, good luck with the speakers...

Najib

Okay I bought a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and hooked it up. Most of the hissing has

been eliminated. So that was the problem, my onboard sounds card, A7N8X.

Still, there is still hissing from the rears, it's not really noticable until your a few inches

away but it's there and it's annoying for the money I paid for these speakers.

I tried making up my own cables as per soundwise.org, no difference really.

I may have to give up on these speakers :-(

Thanks for your help guys

Darren

ears a few inches from the satellites? that is normal. most speaker systems are not as sensitive as ProMedia's so you don't get the hissing that comes from other sources, sometimes not even the computer but radio frequencies picked up from yoru speaker cables!

Okay well it's good to know that there's nothing abnormal going on :-)

However it seems strange that the fronts do not exhibit the same level of hissing as

the rears, it's much more apparent with the rears.

Normal ?

Also I believe the new cables I made are better as when I run them on one of the channels

I can definately notice an increase in volume from that particular sat.

D

Can someone please tell me if this hissing noise and tweeter popping sound is normal. I just got them TODAY. Can someone walk me through the setup process with windows. I have windows XP home edition . EVEN at low volumen the satellaties sound like they're about to explote ... horrible sound ... I have a pretty new gateway computer with a 6 port sound card...

I need some help here guys ... I appreciate it

thanks