Auto On: RSW-15

RobbL

I just hooked up my new RSW-15 subbie, but am not sure why the unit often fails to turn-on automatically. Also, I heard that some use a Y-connecter on the back of the unit to help engergize the system -- can anyone give me a clue as to what this is all about?

(Yamaha RXV-1 receiver, two LaScalas,two RC7s, two RS7s) and the new RSW-15)

Thanks,

Robb

The signal feeding the subwoofer via the LFE or other output has to reach a certain level before it will come on. My KSW-15 is the same way, it is nothing short of annoying! While watching a movie if the action becomes idle it will shut off during the movie and only will come back on when the necessary signal level is present again. So now I leave the damn thing on all the time so that it plays no matter what the level is. If you are using the LFE output on your receiver you should not have to use a "Y" adapter it should have a single mono input for it. However, if you are using it in a 2-channel setting using a set of stereo outs a "Y" adapter will externally "sum" the inputs leading to a little extra gain. So you have two choices, leave it "on" all the time or listen to it loud enough so that it stays "on" you would think Klipsch would have remedied this when designing the RSW and for what it costs I would certainly expect it. No more Klipsch subs for me! With all the effort that goes into there other speakers I would certainly expect more, it is obvious subs are not their Forte' (no pun intended).

The auto-on will turn on when it senses a sustained signal. It is possible that whatever source material you are using (DVD, CD) does not have enough/any content in the .1 channel to keep the sub "energized" or wake it up. Is your receiver configured to send only the .1 channel to the sub? If so, that may be your problem. You may choose to have front channel bass sent not only to your mains but also to the sub -- that will help keep it awake if you don't want to leave it on all the time.

Also, I found that my sub (non-Klipsch) DID receive a benefit of using a y-adapter to connect the line input into both line inputs on the sub amp. I think others have reported similar results with their Klipsch subs.