Belles & SW-12

peterbwreal

edster00, that is one very intriging little amplifier...I never heard of the Monarchy SM-70 amplifier. After reading the short blurb I have enclosed, I'd like to purchase of of these:

"This system uses high-efficiency Klipsch Cornwall speakers, a CAL Icon II CD player, a Creek OBH-12 passive preamp and a Music Reference RM-10 amplifier (I know -- push-pull). The funny thing about this little experiment was that my good friend Paul had purchased the RM-10 tube amp because he had tried a few decent transistor designs in this system and found all of them to be irritating in extended listening sessions. He felt that the tube amp painted a nicer harmonic soundscape and was much more listenable over the long haul.

After I inserted the Monarchy SM-70 into his system, Paul found out, to his surprise, that it was the tube amplifier that sounded harsh by comparison. On loud peaks of vocal works, for example, the sound was decidedly hard and biting when compared to that of the SM-70, which maintained its composure, sounding almost relaxed. We found that we could play the system much louder without fatigue simply because the Monarchy amp wasnt hurting our ears. Additionally, the SM-70 had more extended and better-controlled bass and a wider soundstage. Moreover, the instrumental outlines were much clearer and better focused. Comprehension of lyrics and inner detailing were definitely improved too."

Is the SM-70 still in production? Wonder how much this amp goes for used?

Jim,

The Monarcy SM-70 is by far my favorite SS amp for high efficiency speakers (that I have had the opportunity to audition). Monarchy also makes a Pro version of the SM-70 with some upgraded parts that takes it a step higher in performance.

Kelly (aka mobile homeless) did a nice review of this amp for the BB.

Keep an eye out for used ones on AudiogoN...I rarely, if ever, have seen one on ebay. Monarchy also makes higher powered amps but IMHO the higher power is wasted on Klipsch speakers. Send me an email and I will share more info on purchasing options.