Belles & SW-12

peterbwreal

Compatibility is not really an issue, any sub bass that you can add to the Belle's will be appreciated and welcomed. However, it will not hang if you listen to the Belle's at or near concert levels. For normal average listening it should work just fine. However, I do not think that is a powered sub (no internal amplifier) I could be wrong but if that is the case you will need an amplifier or an additional set of leads off your receiver to power it.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to add a sub? Are the belles going to be a part of a home theater, or simply for 2 channel? Not that I have an answer for you... I am as a matter of fact waiting the arrival of my belles.

My God, m00n, you've got 2 subwoofers (your 12" goes down to 22Hz, and your 15" down to 19Hz), so why on earth would you need another sub for the Belle Klipsch? Or are you using the Belles in another system without any subs?

The Belle Klipsch's specs are rated at 45Hz to 17kHz +/-5dB, so you would definately benefit using a subwoofer with them. Can you use one of your existing subs for the Belle Klipsch, or are they both tied up in your HT?

Should work fine to reproduce the lower octaves of bass that the Belle's are not capable of then. They drop like a rock at like 55hz, I use my DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer to try and squeeze a little more out of them. However mine are augmented by an additional set of mains and two 15" subwoofers. I have the ability to turn/switch the subs off and they sound nice without them but the subs really round them out nicely. I rarely ever turn my system up but did have the ocassion to do it once all I can say is WOW! It seems the louder it got, the clearer and more lifelike it got. It pegged the 119db SPL level on my DBX 14/10 equalizer and it was not at maximum.

m00n,

Listen to the Belles awhile to see what character the bass really has...I think you will find it impressively tight and fast, but won't go as low as the RF-7s. Do you listen to much music in yout HT room? If you feel you need more low bass with the Belles hook up the RSW-12 to supplement themand see if you can integrate the sub well. That will give you a starting point in looking for an additional sub without buying a new one. You may find you don't really need it for 2 channel. I used an LF-10 with my Belles some and played them without a sub some. I thought the LF-10 did okay but the RSW-12 ought to do dquite a bit better.

jt1stcav

Because my belles are going to be in the house where there is NO sub. My theater is in a different building sepparate from the house all together. It's an old 3 bay tracker barn that was converted into a livable quarters. Would I live in it? Na, most likley not but, there were people living in it when we bought the house. Rather what I have done is to convert it into my office, workshop and theater where each one of those is in it's own area sepparated by walls. Each room is 1/3 of the building in width.

----------------

On 3/13/2003 4:11:51 PM edster00 wrote:

m00n,

I think you will find it impressively tight and fast, but won't go as low as the RF-7s.

----------------

Really? That is a scary thought considering I don't regard the RF7 a good speaker in the first place for 2 channel stereo without a sub to help out.

Just my personal opinion is all. 1.gif

Do you not consider them good 2 channel speakers because of the bass or something else? I thought the Belles were very good 2 channel speakers but lacked bass with organ music or classical or some orchestral stuff. I don't listen to that kind of music much but I did try some just for the "experience". 2.gif

Well then, m00n, I see your dilemma...I guess if I had read about your system, I would've known you had two seperate buildings (nice)!

If you can't sacrifice one of your existing subwoofers (possibly the 12") for Belle Klipsch duty in your home's music room, then you may have to purchase yet another powered sub for them. But if you listen to classical, jazz, or other forms of music without deep penetrating bass output, then maybe you won't need a sub at all for the Belle Klipsch. I listen to mostly classical/theatre pipe organ music, and at pretty high levels alot of the time, so I do benefit with my 15" home-made sub (rated at 20Hz). Unfortunantly, without a preamp, I cannot use my sub now, so I rely on my Cornwall's low 38Hz bass response for my listening needs, and they do a very good job. That lowest bottom octave of bass is missed, though...8.gif

m00n,

I think your review of the Belles and their bass will be interesting. Listen to them without a sub for a few days/weeks with music that you are familiar with.

I think the adage there is no replacement for displacement will be evident here. The bass bin area of the Belle is considerably larger than that of the RF-7. I think you will find the Belle will produce quite a bit more bass than the RF-7 in the frequencies that the Belle is able to produce.

It will also make a difference with what you decide to use for an amplifier also. If I hadnt already sold my Scott I would send it to you to try out. How would you like to try a Monarchy SM-70?? You would need to find a preamp to feed the Monarchy but you are welcome to have it on loan for a few weeks.

When are the Belles supposed to ship, this weekend/first of next week? The worst part of a new purchase for me is waiting to receive something that I have been lusting after!

What does the saying mean "there is no replacement for displacement"...

I can use my Harman Kardon AVR-520 as a preamp. Yeah I would be interested in checking it out if your serious about it. I will send you a PM here is a few.

The belles should be shipping either tomorrow or Monday... Yeah I am starting to get ancy...

Is this what your talking about sending me?

Monarchy SM-70

If so, then I think I would rather not. That looks to expensive and I would hate to have something happen to it...

I think the offer is incredibly nice, but, I would just be very unhappy if something happen to it in my care.4.gif

"No replacement for displacement" means a large speaker will move (displace) more air than a small speaker. Moving air (with as little distortion as possible) is what it is all about. IMHO a horn speaker will out perform a cone speaker. It requires a large horn to produce a low note and the folded horn allows a larger horn in a smaller space.

I'll get the SM-70 packed up, remember this baby is...25 watts of SS!! Maybe I'll send a preamp too.

m00n,

I didn't see your post. You evidently wrote it while I was writing mine, then I went downstairs and packed up the SM-70 and a preamp to go along with it. If you don't want to audition it that's fine, the only obligation you would have is return shipping. The only caution I would ask you take with the amp is to place it out of reach of the children because it gets pretty hot when running, and the cooling fins are pretty sharp. It is not in mint condition, I don't think you can hurt either piece. Oh...my Monarchy is better looking than the one in that photo too (IMHO) I don't prefer the "lion head" logo.10.gif

The Monarchy retails new for a tad over $500, a real bargain in my book. The only "spare" preamp that I have available is passive...so it has no gain. You would be able to hear what 25 watts of class A SS can do on it's own.

I didn't mean to try to push some gear on you. I was just hoping you would be able to hear the Belles with something other than a receiver. If I hadn't already sold my Scott I would have offered that for you to hear what tubes are all about.

Send me an email @ edster00@mindspring.com rather than PM's if you don't mind. If you really don't want me to send this gear that's fine too.

Regards!

Here is a photo of mine:

sm-70.jpg