DVD-Audio Question

pennektj

I have a DVD player that I thought played DVD-Audio discs, so I went out and got 2 of them. Both of them played on the DVD player, and sounded like I had 5.1 Digital sound. I was looking at my DVD players specs on the internet and didn't see is specified that it played DVD Audio. The model above mine specifically said DVD-Audio.

My question... what am I missing out on. I can play the disc and have different sounds come out of each speaker, but apparently I am not fully utilizing the DVD-Audio discs, because my player is missing something.

Can anyone explain what I am missing, and what I would gain if I upgrade my DVD player to a DVD-Audio compliant player.

Thanks,

Tim

If your player is dvd-a capable it will have a dvd audio logo on the front.Most dvd-a disc have dts/dolby 5.1 also,but this is digital.The dvd a player has 6 analog outputs that go to ext.inputs(6)2 front,2 surround,1 center,1 sub,all marked as such on avr and dvd-a player.The actual sound of dvd audio I compare to the best turntable and lp's.It is a huge difference in sound quality from cd or dvd.If you want to hear almost every spec of sound on the master tapes in 2 channel,192/24 some disc also have that option.The surround mix when done correctly,Yes "Fragile",Deep purple"Machine Head" and Fleetwood Mac are a few,are almost as good as consumer technology can produce.

I just bought my first DVD-Audio disc, REM's Document. And I guess my question is........really? Why? I am utterly nonplussed by this disc. There is absolutely no difference between the disc I bought back in the 1980s and the disc I bought this very evening. I am using my PowerDVD player to play the disc. Any suggestions? Or is this DVD-Audio thing just hype? Thanks and cheers, Wintermute

as with anything else alot depends on your machine, i have the rotel rdv 1080, it plays all formats very well, but going from format to format you can hear clear differences, especially in dvd-a, i can honestly saay i have never heard vinyl sound this clear, or defined, i am told that sacd is also this well done12.gif

What Marksdad said is important.Also you have to take in consideration that the quality of DVD-Audio discs can vary greatly from disc to disc. I have not heard the REM Document in DVD-A but I do own the original album on CD.It still sounds good.There is the possibility,regardless of equipment,that this particular title release of an older recording does not show a great improvement over the original.It may be due to the way the 5.1 tracks were engineered. How and older recording is remixed for DVD-A is critical and can be quite a task in order to maintain the artists feel for the music that was first released in the way they intended it to sound.I would experiment with a few more DVD-A discs in your system before dismissing the format as hype.

Give it a chance and you may become hooked especially using a good player and Klipsch speakers. Good Luck.

it's official, my DVD player isn't DVD-audio... but it still plays the disc.

I think it plays them in 5.1 DD... I think it sounds good... and your telling me it gets better... sweet.

Are there any DVD-A SACD players for someone on a budget...

I bought my Mit. DD-6030 for $80...open item... so I am not too disappointed... it can go in the bedroom :)

Thanks for all your help.

Tim

According to Mitsubishi, the DD-6030 will play 2 channel DVD-A through it's analog outputs, and take advantage of the advanced resolution stereo. The 8030 is Multi-Channel DVD audio. You are listening to the Dolby or dts track on the disc. DVD audio is great, but like any format, some titles are better than others. REM Document is one of those that is only so-so. Pick up some of the titles above, as well as my personal favorite Eagles Hotel California and hear the difference, that disc will give you goose-bumps guaranteed. p.s. What is a "PowerDVD player?" Sounds like some kind of Computer thing.