Dylan on 180g vinyl

robforst1

I have been buying a bunch on vinyl on e-bay since getting my turntable.

Yesterday I received Bob Dylan's MTV Unplugged performace on 180g virgin vinyl (double lp).

It is awesome!!!! Just like being in the audience...

Does anyone else have any favorite audiophile lp recommendations?

Since you like Dylan, you might want to check out Sundazed Records, at sundazed.com.

They recently released all of Dylan's records early records (except the first) in mono, and they are all great. Bob Irwin, who runs the place, does excellent work.

Sundazed also has lots and lots of other classic titles that they've reissued, and they typically access the original master to cut their records.

If you are as lucky as myself you can find excellent used copies at a local record shop. I`ve also found some nice Mobile Fidelity Recordings at record conventions which are just a vinyl lovers wonderland. There are good deals on e-bay also, but you can`t look at it or listen to it before you buy. One item to look out for is The Beatles box set pressed by Mobile Fidelity. They did a Stones and a Sinatra box too. There was also some limited pressings(5000)each, called,"UHQR". These weigh in at 200 grams and are the best example of what a perfect recording on vinyl can truly be. I got one of Sgt.Pepper`s Lonely Heart`s Club Band. At $50.00 a slice, it was a steal. Recordings on japanese vinyl are highly desirable too. Another company,"Nautilus", have some nice recordings also that you will want to keep your eye open for on the used market. Happy hunting. 1.gif

If you like Bob Dylan, you might enjoy -

- Alison Krauss, "New Favorite"

- Lucinda Williams, all of her vinyl is great

- Hank Williams Tribute, "Timeless"

- "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", soundtrack from the movie

- anything from Steve Earle

Geez, I could go on and on... BTW, if you're looking for sound that is better than cd, be careful. There are many records out there that are either bad digital recordings or transfers, bad pressings or masters and can sound downright crappy.

Regards,

Chris

----------------

On 3/16/2003 6:03:43 PM NOSValves wrote:

Stevie Ray Vaughan "Couldn't Stand the Weather" is a absolute must !

----------------

I picked up the SACD of this. Is the LP as good or better?

Also check out Acoustic Sounds for LP's and everything else.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

They take pre-orders on upcoming releases. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrived of my DSOTM pre-order.

And Red Trumpet http://www.redtrumpet.com/