More great sounding, well recorded red book CDs

AndyKubicki

I got a couple CDs recently which are recorded exremely well sound great when played through our Klipschs. One is Called the Rite of Strings, with Stanley Clark on acoustic bass, Al DeMeola on guitars, and Jean-Luc Ponte on violin. An acoustic orgasm! I sent it to Craig to check out with some tubes...how did it sound on your La Scalas? Another great recording and performance was Jean-Luc Ponte in concert in Germany called Live at Semper Opera. Those of you familiar with JLP know he's been around since the 70s and disappeared for somre time. He appeared in the 90s. I saw him in concert, but it was missing something (yeah, like Alan Holdsworth's guitar!). But this live concert is missing nothing, they are on fire! Guy Nsanguc Akwa is a fabulous bass player with some Jaco influence, but still in his own style.

Yes Dean,

It's good stuff, but those old recordings (saddly) sound nothing like the new CD! Check it out. His new band does a lot of his "oldies" from Imaginary Voyage to Enigmatic Ocean. Enigmatic Ocean is one of my favorites and Alan Holdsworth's contribution to it is a major factor...he can sure play some incredible leads!

Jeez, Andy -- you're hitting all my favorites ! I need to find this music, but I would also tend to agree with you about Alan Holdsworth -- what a great player!

My brother went to see JLP many moons ago, and he told me that he put down his violin in the middle of a piece and told the (American) audience to "Shut Up!" pretty funny! I've gotta try to find that Rite of Strings CD.

Erik

Erik,

I'll bet you and I have a lot of the same CDs (or records), and what we don't have of each others' I'll bet we'll want!

B000000QIH.01._PE12_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's a 1995 recording, but I just found it. You can get it here:http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000000QIH/qid%3D1047960748/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-9186038-5571915 ...cheaper than what I paid!

B000069KE6.01._PE_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is the new live one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000069KE6/ref=pd_art_ftr_1//104-9186038-5571915?v=glance&s=music

As far as Holdsworth goes, he made many recordings much better than they would have been without him, and I especially liked him when he played with Bruford and Berlin...that was HOT!

Ya gotta get yourself a drum set again! When I take my son to Guitar Center I always sit with headphones on the V-drums (so I don't embarass myself)...