Your preamp...

Deang

Deano,

I'm to old allot of it is just to hard and forcefull unless in that agressive mood 1.gif But actually I find this band much clearer with less uncontrolled distortion compared to many of the heavy hitters today such as Fuel, Default and Creed. Default and Creed I really like till they go into the Heavy riffs and they make me wonder if something is wrong with my amps !! I just don't get the distortion they like to produce !! I call it noise !!

Craig

Dude RF-3's do nothing for me at all ! There respectable not trying to say there not a good speakers they are just missing that live sound of the Heritage series. I would take my Heresy's over them in a flat second. I have to have as many horns as possible !! The Lascalas leave them completely in the dust the bass of the folded horn is just much more articulate. It may not go as low but what is there is awesome.

Craig

Well hell no -- ain't no way an RF-3 is going hang with a Scala in bass or midrange bite. Buy you know, with the MK III's driving them -- they're going to pound pretty good, and the highs will definitely be smoother at the blistering volume levels.

RF-7's completely trounce the Cornwalls at 90db and above.

There is an alternative to horn loaded bass, and that's corner loaded bass. I've been reading PWK's biography, and I've read the speaker section 4 times -- I can't seem to get out of that chapter. As of right now, I've got the RF-7's straight into the corners -- something I would never have considered doing -- but the old man convinced me. He was right. It's not only the bass that smooths out (and rises up to meet my gut) -- but the whole presentation is smoother.

Did you know corner placement doubles the size of your room? That corner placement causes early reflections to reach the listener AFTER the direct sound -- but only if placed in a corner. All other methods of placement cause reflections to reach the listener BEFORE the direct sound.

Dean,

With the Mark III's the high end didn't need smoothing they were liquid to 110+ db totally non fatiguing. I'm telling you they were incredible even in my lousy acoustic nightmare room. I'm telling you they were incredible. Also my Lascalas are in the corners !! I can't put the RF-3 in the corners and its not the low end they really lack in its the mid range and high end clarity, imaging and sound field its just not there compared to the Heresy and the Lascalas.

Craig

Here is email from Dale about the Mark III's I recieved today

Had some friends over on the weekend , both are running tube gear with klipsch speakers. They were both " BLOWEN " away by the mark III's !!!!! One of them is now on the hunt for a pair and i told him you would be the guy to mod them for him.

Then I asked him what amps they had and this was the answer.

one friend ( dan ) has a conrad and the other ( mark) has a newer audio research that he paid HUGE bucks for.

Dean if you hate distortion stay away from the the Zwan CD. That's the new Billy Corgan, Matt Sweeney, and that hot chick bassist from a Perfect Circle Paz group. Here's what he says about the recording levels of the new CD:

"Recently, some concerns have come to light regarding the 'sound' of the album, and there seems to be confusion about whether or not there is a problem, which is understandable in the warm 'digital' age. So from my mouth to your ear, here's the deal: We set out to make the loudest f*cking rock and roll album that was humanly possible. No detail was too small, and by that I mean that everything, and I mean everything on the album is distorted by yours truly. I became obsessed by the sound of the great mono albums of the sixties, whether it be Dusty Springfield, The Walker Brothers, The Stones, The Who, The Kinks, etc. and their compressed excitement. so if our album is blowing up your speakers or making your dog cry, I can't say I'm sorry, but I do apologize for any worries this may have caused."

I'm not a big fan of that distortion through my Heritage setup, but sometimes you just have to "rock out". That's what the stereo in my truck is for!9.gif

----------------

On 3/20/2003 11:36:16 PM DeanG wrote:

I've got the RF-7's straight into the corners -- something I would never have considered doing -- but the old man convinced me. He was right. It's not only the bass that smooths out (and rises up to meet my gut) -- but the whole presentation is smoother.

----------------

I have a 16' wide wall and put my Cornwalls straight across the corners...certainly an improvement in bass. For 2-channel I like it but I like to backup from my normal seating so I'm a little farther away than the speakers are apart.

For movies with a deep RPTV it puts the sound too far behind the screen...sides aren't on the same plane as the center or screen anymore.

Craig, don't forget -- I know what 35 watts of beam tube triode sounds like. It is definitely a major kick butt sound. I miss that damn amp sometimes. Someday I'll knuckle under and get another.

ae254.jpg

I don't know what it is about the Quicksilvers. The EL-34's, the parallel configuration of the output tubes, the Ultra Linear circuit, or the simplicity and lack of parts in the signal path? Hell, I just don't know. I do know the amps touch my soul in the same way the MK III's touch yours.