Subwoofer placement

Samwise

What is the best way to place the subwoofer to get maximum response? I know you should put it in the corner of the room but should the sides of the subwoofer be right up against the wall or should it be angled so the side ports have a little room to breathe?

With my old set I placed the sub under the right side of my desk, it fits real tight on the top and i left the right side a few inches from the wall.And the left sub blowing towards my legs.I found this gave mine a rock solid bass responce.Pictures would shake on the walls.The more you can focus the bass in your direction the better IMO.But try diff positions out for yourself.Let your ears be the judge! Have some fun already!!!3.gif

Well I was fooling around with the sub, and looking back in the heyday findings of the 4.1 forums, and what old members had to say. I placed my subwoofer in the corner, but turn it around and had the port facing the wall. The port has about 6-8 inches of breathing, while the drivers have bout the same. The thing is fully corner loaded. Upon playing some newly found bass songs that older members recommended, I decided to listen for myself. WOW! The thing gained some MASSIVE thump. I can feel it in my legs more, the wall behind it shakes a lot more (Sister was my proof), and lower freq. was being played louder, and the bass hits have some huge impact gains. It was quite amazing. In music or any bass test before, I had trouble reaching an SPL of 100, now im hitting 102-103db SPL numbers with gain, it's quite an awesome display. It's not boomy either, it's a very tight punch that has some "kick to your chest" feeling in there.

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but some people had some huge success with this, I know I did. I'm going to test games and DVD's later and let you know what goes on.

Yeah i used to think facing the port towards the wall was a good thing also but not anymore. You can hear port noise much easier when doing this. My sub is placed in the corner diagonal so both drivers are the same amount of space away from the wall. I think thats the best way to put it.

port loading the corner? that's a new one :) (term wise).

it depends on ever setup. with my corner desk and v2.400's, it sounded best with the sub at a 20 degree angle with the port up and pointed TOWARD a corner. now it sounds best in a corner, flat, with the port facing out.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

nobody?

Couldn't you just put the sub in each of those positions and listen to it to see which sounds best?

Every room tends to have different individual accoustics depending on

the shape of the room, what is in it, etc. I doubt anyone could tell

you the single best placement for your sub if they're not in a position

to listen to it ...

One tip I often see (I can't vouch for it) is to place the sub in your

normal listening position, then move around the room and see where the

bass sounds best: that is the best place for you to put your sub.

(Might not work to well in this instance, since you don't have a whole

lot of room with the control pod to move the sub around ...)