To ROTEL or not to ROTEL

JewishAMerPrince

Since my RF/RC/RS-7's will arrive on tuesday the time has come to consider new electronics to replace my venerable but slightly out of date Denon 3801. I have been considering making the giant leap into seperates and after extensive research I have come to the conclusion that the setup my pocketbook would tolerate is the Rotel RSP-1066 processor with their RMB-1075 for the fronts and surrounds and RB-1050 for the surround backs. I have read some very good things about the Rotel equipment, but after a recent trip to my one and only local Rotel dealer I was very much put off by the attitude of the salesperson (who happenend to be the store owner). I a trying hard to NOT let that bad taste influence my perception of the equipment. I would like to hear from others that currently own or have owned Rotel. I did a couple of private inquiries to some of you and did get one positive response...thanks again foxman. I have been told by others that Rotel may be a bit bright for the RF's, and even more noticable because of the fact that I am coming out of a Denon receiver and have a slightly bright room. I need your feedback please!

Thanks Everyone in advance.

Jerry Rappaport1.gif

http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/index.cfm?fuseaction=listings&CFB=1&forum=25

This link should take you to a sight for Rotel owners/lovers and inquirers(sp?) you should be able to ask some questions that may help your situation. Also I would go to www.rotel.com and find a dealer that is within driving distance to you as an alternative. I am in NC and I called almost every dealer from DC to mid SC. What I found is that none are going to ship you anything, but if you know what you want they should work with you over the phone at least on price, you would have to drive though. The other thing I would recomend is to contact Rotel and let them know how you feel about your local dealer, maybe they can mediate and repair the damage done by this gentleman. Rotel, like SVS has terific customer service and it is hard to put a price on that these days. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

----------------

On 3/21/2003 3:15:34 PM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

I have been told by others that Rotel may be a bit bright for the RF's, and even more noticable because of the fact that I am coming out of a Denon receiver and have a slightly bright room.

----------------

I think you may find the opposite. Rotel leans on the warm side of neutral. They may sound bright with a bright speaker like your RF's. However, in my experience, I've found Denons to be bright compared to Rotels. Denons do have a relatively warm midrange and midbass, yet the highs tend to be very sharp. I think it's because of the warmth that Denons process in the lower frequencies that make people believe that it's a good pairing for brighter speakers. I think you'd be better off with the Rotels than with your current Denon receiver.

BTW, I think being snooty is a requirement to become a Rotel dealer. My local dealer definately isn't something to write home about.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Denon 3802 in a 7.1 system, and I have just added a Rotel RB 1070 2 channel amp to power my mains. I have had it for a week in continuous use, and I can not be more happy. I will be converting over to a complete Rotel seperates system in the coming months because of my complete satisfaction.

There is one down side (I know my previous statement). It does really produce any flaw in the recording. Just be prepared. I have had great success with DVD-A in 2 channel and HDCD as well, but standard CD's have been across the board. I will be replacing my Denon DCM 370 to a Rotel or Riga player in the next couple months.

Also, where are you from? I had a great experience from my dealer. Actually took apart a whole system for me to listen and set it up to match my current and future plans. And I was buying a $700.00 amp. He got a customer for life.

Larry

----------------

On 3/30/2003 9:10:43 PM oakleyguy68 wrote:

There is one down side (I know my previous statement). It does really produce any flaw in the recording. Just be prepared. I have had great success with DVD-A in 2 channel and HDCD as well, but standard CD's have been across the board. I will be replacing my Denon DCM 370 to a Rotel or Riga player in the next couple months.

JAP writes back:

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your comments. Well,I finally was able to get to a decent salesperson in the ROTEL dealership by contacting the installation sevice manager and telling him of my experience with the owner. (It seems the employees feel likewise about the owner). Now, thanks to Mike, I have a RSP1066, RMB1075 and RB1050 on order to arrive late this week. The anticipation is killing me though!

I wanted to write back and share a trick I learned a while ago on one of the BB's about playing regular audio CD's on a DVD player. Hook up the left and right ANALOG audio outputs from your DVD player to the CD ANALOG inputs on your receiver. Whenever you wish to listen to a CD, select CD on your receiver. It seems the D/A converters in the Denon receivers ( and most receivers and processors) are optimized for the audio sampling rates on a DVD. By utilizing the D/A converters in the DVD player you may well get superior two channel sound, as I have with the Denon 3801.1.gif

have a RSP1066, RMB1075 and RB1050 on order to arrive late this week. The anticipation is killing me though

Congrats on the new gear and welcome to the wonderful world of Rotel. Check out that link I mentioned about owning Rotel it is a great wealth of info for the Rotel owner. Especially the RSP1066.9.gif

Having both a dedicated Rotel 2 channel setup and a Denon 3802, I would definitely say yes to Rotel for the 1066 and the 1075. In fact I've been thinking quite a bit about doing the 1066/1075 combo for a while now. Thing is I use my Klipsch 95% for music, so every time I get close to going for the combo, I end up saying that I'd prefer to put the 2k towards more music gear. Besides the Denon is perfectly fine for my HT needs. As multi-channel audio matures, I'm sure I'll take the plunge one of these days.

The Rotel gear is slightly warm as others have said and because of that I've found it to be a great combo with Klipsch.

~shoe