Finished Refinishing Belle

bigdnfay

I have to admit I would have had the same reaction as you when discovering that they were Walnut? It's a very different wood from birch... actually night and day difference... something I would have thought almost impossible to match... 6.gif

I'm IMPRESSED... what really nice match!!! You must have put quite some time playing with that stain... but your end result is well worth it. Both your Belle and K'orns look great. 1.gif

As a side note, I chose the same finish as you (Minwax red Oak on a birch veneer + poly for low maintenance) for my Cornwalls. 9.gif

post-11489-13819246801374_thumb.jpg

And here is my before picture... not a good angle though.

Moon, I would tend to simply refinish the existing veneer if possible... but re-veneering in general isn't a very difficult job... you can ask about it at a home depot or the like.. but the basic steps are:

1- Buy veneer and glue at hardware store

2- sand and prep your surfaces

3- apply your glue to both speaker and veneer, let dry

4- glue together carefully

5- trim

6- repeat steps 3 to 5 for each panel

7- apply finish

but re-veneering a belle is a little tougher because of some panels are hard to reach.

post-11489-13819246802974_thumb.jpg

shapeshifter,

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about putting a riser between the upper and lower section of my belle to match the k-horn

mOOn,

I would love to help you out on the bleaching,but that coast-to-coast thing would be a problem.

formica,

Great job on the cornwalls. Especially your choice of stain color. I've got cherry book cases that I was trying to match all my speakers to. Got real close with the red oak. Red mahogony was to dark.

Big D

----------------

On 3/29/2003 10:08:31 PM bigdnfay wrote:

shapeshifter,

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about putting a riser between the upper and lower section of my belle to match the k-horn.....

----------------

Hum...very interesting plan.

I believe Al Klappenberger modified his Belles entire upper section by raising them 3/4 inch higher. However, it sounds like you intend to increase the distance between the HF & LF sections? Thus leaving the HF section stock. You may want to take a look at Al's modification just for comparitive thoughts.

Later,

Wes

----------------

On 3/29/2003 10:08:31 PM bigdnfay wrote:

shapeshifter,

As a matter of fact, I was thinking about putting a riser between the upper and lower section of my belle to match the k-horn

Big D

----------------

What would be the benifit to this? Is it just cosmetic so they are taller like the KHorn?