CD Audio, which to listen to it on?

PDiddy

This is kind of like the question posted a few down on RCA/Optical for CD, but I read it and didn't quite get the straight answer I wanted. The question I have is this: I have my DVD player hooked up to my receiver via optical digital. My CD player is hooked to my receiver via RCA. My question is, does it really matter, when just listening to CD's which component (DVD, or CD) I use?

Won't it play in 2 Channel anyway?

Thanks in advance

The difference as i understand it is that your dvd player will use the receivers DAC since it is sending out a digital stream, while your cd player will use its internal DAC as it is outputting an analog stream. So depending on whether your receiver or cd player has the better dac, that is the one that should sound better.

I could be wrong though.

----------------

On 3/25/2003 3:39:58 PM Scipio80 wrote:

The difference as i understand it is that your dvd player will use the receivers DAC since it is sending out a digital stream, while your cd player will use its internal DAC as it is outputting an analog stream. So depending on whether your receiver or cd player has the better dac, that is the one that should sound better.

I could be wrong though.

----------------

You are correct. As I said before, let your ears make the choice. My receiver has a much higher rated DAC than anything else I own, , but the specs do not seem to matter. The DAC in the Adcom (VERY highly rated in its day) has a much cleaner sound.

I had also read in this forum that DVD players do not seem to have as good a sound as a good CD player for music. I verified this ONLY to the point that my $300 DVD did not sound as good as my $800 CD player. (Duhhh)

Again... its all in the ears!

----------------

On 3/25/2003 4:41:01 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

You could through a wrench into the machine and see if can lay your hands on a decent external DAC and really have some fun.
4.gif

----------------

Funny you should say that. I have been looking for one. I was planning on hitting some of my old haunts to see if anyone I know still works there, & get one on loan.9.gif