Chorus II vs. Forte II

chaos5

Hi folks,

I have a question.

But first, some background. I am thinking about moving up or adding on to my current KG5.5/KV3/(still looking for some KG2.5's to replace my old AR rears) multi-channel setup. Hopefully a new house will be in the future before too long, and I want to start thinking about a nice 2-channel setup as well. The GF is a big fan of the KG5.5's and says she wouldn't mind big box speakers in the living room.

So, I've been prowling on Ebay. I wouldn't mind some more KG5.5's, but lots of folks here really seem to love the Forte II's, and the used prices aren't far apart. I've looked at the specs for Chorus II's as well, and they don't seem radically different from the Forte II's. Pricing, as I've seen it, tends to have the KG5.5's around $500-600, Forte II's at $650-750, and Chorus II's at $800-1000.

So, the question is, are the Chorus II's significantly better/smoother/or whatever, as compared to the Forte II, in order to justify the 30-45% price premium they seem to demand? Is there a reason to consider one over the other? Should I be saving up the extra $$$ and hold out for some Chorus II's, or is the Forte II really the sweet spot for that era's three-way model?

Thanks for any help/opinions. I really love reading this board.

I don't have the II's, but I have Forte and Chorus and I prefer the Chorus. The Forte is a tremendous all-in-one speaker, with its hard hitting deep bass. But, when coupled with a sub, the Chorus delivers a better overall sound experience and is worth the extra dough, IMO.

DD

As an owner of both, I'd say go for the Chorus IIs. The Forte II is an incredible speaker; great all around and outstanding bass. The Chorus II has better highs and mids; just a bit softer, and you really don't lose that much bass. Realistically, you can't go wrong with either pair, so if you can find a good deal on the Forte II, go for it. But if you want the Chorus II, you will be rewarded. Just remember, those are big speakers; its amazing to see them next to the Fortes.

You will like either pair better than the KG 5.5s, which are fine speakers in their own right. But since those are 2-way, and the Forte/Chorus are 3-way, you get a better soundstage from them. Just ask Erdric after he listened to my system. 1.gif

since a large speaker would not be a problem i would suggest that you include the cornwall in your search and could possible get a pair within the price range quoted.

these are large but extremely versetile, and well worth considering especally if one can be got within travering distance, personally i find that there is no need to wonder about upgrade, they are simply superb.

your ears are your friend listen to them.10.gif

>>Just ask Erdric after he listened to my system<<

LOL

jhawk demo'd his system and sent me on a klipsch upgrade binge. Thanks to him I now have a pair of Forte II's and an Academy. I had a pair of Kg-4's for mains in my HT setup and was very happy. However, compared to his Chorus II's and Forte II's the bass output of my Kg-4's sounded anemic, even with my SVS lending support. I had to upgrade and ended up with the Forte II's. The Kg-4's are now in my 2 channel system.

I've said in the past that I don't feel the need to upgrade to the Chorus II's because I'm so happy with the Forte II's. Yeah, right. Those Forte II's will make great rear surrounds 1.gif

Wow, it feels good to be talking audio again. Despite my best efforts I got sucked into some of the war threads. No more.