help from the computer savy please!

prodj101

ok, so now that I have these 2 comps using windows XP, instead of burning all kinds of discs to transfer the files, I wanna just network them. you can just connect them directly from eachothers network cards right? well anyway, thats what I've done so far, and it's giving me alot of trouble. I can't figure out how you're supposed to get them to find eachother or w/e. does anyone have a step by step explanation? thanks.

Most likely the problem is you are using a straight-thru wired typical ethernet cable, instead of a crossover cable. You need to use a crossover cable. Basically if you are using a regular ethernet cable it is wired so that it is straight thru. When you hook 2 computers up with that the xmit line out of one computer, goes to the xmit line of the other. The receive line of the first one, goes to the receive of the second, so neither is seeing each other. With a crossover cable the xmit/recive are switched at one end so the xmit of the first pc, goes to the receive of the second pc.

Hope this makes sense, and I hope this is your problem, as it is a relatively simple thing to fix.

-mkl

it's a cross over cable, and yeah, the lights turn green. could it be something wit hthe firewalls? lets see, in the network places, I have a few icons. one is for the cable modem, than there is a different section that says "Netowrk bridge" and under that it has "Network Bridge Enabled- Mac Bridge Miniport, than 1394 Connection, than Local Area Connect 2. I think there are so many cause I've been tryin to figure out this **** and it just keeps adding them to no where. uhg, frustrating.

right click on the "Local Area Connect 2" and go to properties. check your network settings again and check to see if the protocol tcp/ip is installed. if not, install it. (both computers) btw: i'm assuming your cable modem connects to your computer via a USB connection. let me know if this is not true because that might mean you need to configure the one you mentioned is for the "cable modem"

after they're installed you need to make sure the ip addresses are on the same network subnet so they can communicate with each other. if you don't manually configure an ip address, your two computers will select an ip within the 169.254.x.x range. the address that is selected is the one you're going to use for access.

you can check to see if they have negotiated an ip by going to a command prompt and typing "winipcfg". it will look similar to my example below:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Cisco:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : mydomain.com

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.25.83

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Windows XP also has that nasty firewall that is enabled by default. Turning that off should help. You have windows XP pro right? The home version has very limited networking capabilities, not sure that is the problem but it could crop up in the future, especially if you ever need to use a cisco VPN client.