So, we're talking on the phone...

Deang

...and Craig says, "When you gonna say something about the Scott?"

"What is there to say man? It's great."

"Have you opened up the bottom of that thing yet."

"Nope, I saw what you did on the 299a I had, so I figured you did pretty much the same on the 299b."

"Naw man, you gotta go in there and look."

"I'll get around to it eventually, right now -- I'm buried in RF-7 and DQ-10 crossover parts."

"Well man, you GOTTA go in there and check it out -- I busted my butt on that thing."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah."

I've haven't done ANY critical listening on the downstairs system at all -- until this week. My focus was on the upstairs. I spent the better part of a month dialing it in. Most of that time was spent on speaker placement and room acoustics. No small chore moving 100 pound speakers on spikes, an inch at a time. I finally developed an additional brain cell or two, and ended up removing the spikes so I could move the RF-7's around easier. This system is complete. The Quicksilvers, though not possessing the transparency of the Apollos at the lower listening levels -- are fearsome driving the RF-7's. I love the warmth and huge, expansive soundstage of the EL-34's. At high power, everything stays together without a trace of grain or strain. It is simply the best system I have ever heard for the music I listen to up there.

It was finally time to see what was really going on with the Scott and Cornwalls. I had already rewired the Cornwalls, damped the areas I was concerned with, found the right cable, caulked the inside edge of the frame where the back fits in, and screwed the backs on with some nice stainless steel screws and finishing washers. The Scott has been patient, primarily pulling duty for two-channel HT. Some music, sometimes loud just for fun -- but no serious listening or judgment of the sound.

Craig had sent me his Telefunkens, and the resistors I needed if I was going to try the triode mod. We had been bantering on the phone about this mod business. I want as much Class A as the Scott can give me, Craig wants me just to try it. Craig wants me to get what brain I have -- out of the way, and just try it. He's actually being the sensible one here. I have no problem tearing my RF-7's down and throwing in some new parts. Speakers are cake -- amps OTOH, scare the hell of me.

Last night, I decided I was going to have a serious listen. Which I did for a couple of hours. I then decided I wanted to put the Telefunkens in. I had the Scott pulled out, and KNEW Craig was going to ask me again if I pulled the bottom off while I had her out.

I have no idea how this guy gets his iron in some of these places. I'm without a doubt hampered by only having vision out of one eye, but even with two eyes -- I'm not so sure I get into some of those places without burning parts, myself, and Lord knows what else.

I was checking the instructions Craig had sent for placement of the resistors. "Nothing to this mod", he tells me on the phone. "Just unhook the orange wire from the 7169, and strap the resistor between the 7 and 9 pin." So, I'm looking in there. Looking in there very hard. I get the flash light. Folks, this just ain't happening. I was laughing out loud while looking at this. I'm going to need a major psyche-up session before I tackle this. I invited Debbie over to take a peek with me. She started laughing too. My nick-name is "Mr. Fix It", and my motto is, "If ain't broke -- it will be."9.gif

While contemplating my soldering skills, I was staring at the bottom of the amp. "What the hell?" I started seeing quite a few things that were different than the 299a I had. One thing in particular was the simply fantastic job he did adding the additional power supply filtration. "Ah, I think to myself -- this is what that clown wanted me to see." This looked anything but simple, and had to have taken awhile to complete. Craig always takes care of me. Thanks Craig -- awesome.

So how does it sound. Excellent, but definitely better with the Telefunkens in it. I like the sound of Craig's Scotts a lot. I like them as well as anything I've had in this house over the last year. For you newbies -- that's an endorsement of the highest order.

As far as the system as a whole: I have the same thoughts that I had with the NosValves 299a and the Heresies -- extremely musical. It's a system that makes you forget about the equipment, and just listen to the music.

BTW Craig -- When I decide to do the mod, I'm sending it down to you. Uh -- I can't carry your toolbox if you catch my meaning here.

Dean,

Come on buddy you can do it !! Its simple you just have to quit looking at the entire under chassis and just zone in on the area your going to work on !

Thanks for all the kind words and if you loving the sound of it that much don't worry about the 4 220K resistors we talkied about they must not be hurting the sound the way they are.

Have you tried the 6U8's yet ?

Craig

I sent you some mail Mike.

Craig, sent you some mail too.

Yeah, I did the zoning in bit -- then I zoned out! I was counting the wires on the 9 pin. I had a vision of using the braid to pull the old solder off -- and then the whole thing coming undone like an old watch -- BOING. 6.gif