112db, no distortion, no clipping, no kidding!

NOSValves

Beat you Dean !!

I let the Russian caps burn in over night on the ST-70 and after my morning coffee gave them a workout. As the thread title stated I was able to hit 112db constant with higher peaks without distortion , Clipping just ear blistering Rock and Roll. Little harsh on the top end but I'm sure that will settle in with further play. Huge sound field 1.gif Detail is awesome 1.gif Much to my disappointment however these are not Mark III's the lower end dynamics just are not in the same league which has never been the EL-34's strong point anyway I am told. The Amps are very pleasing and warm nothing like there original stock form which I found really horrible. I found the same things about the Mark III's in there stock form. With the right mods either of these amps really shine when finished.

I can tell you one thing you will never see me ever use a Jensen cap again Copper, Tin whatever !!

Next will be Auricaps !!

Craig

LOL, ain't it fun?

No, pounding bass is not the EL-34's strong suit, but magic midrange and 3D texture is. I've never been much of a bass freak, and my sissy ears really appreciate the warmth and additional fat in the middle. I really dig the EL-34.

Dean and others,

I thought I or we should clarify why we push are systems so hard on a serious note. While Dean and I probably listen at higher SLP then some of the regulars here I bet on the norm its really not that much higher. On average I listen in the low to mid 90 db. The reason I like to have my system play clean and clear up to 110 to 115db is that it gives me a solid feeling that the amps can play all the material handed to them by the source throughout the sound spectrum at my normal listening level. Then also there is the show off factor for friends that stop by for a listen 1.gif. What this boils down to is a amp that sound great at 110db will and does sound spectacular at 85 , 90 or 95db !!!

Craig

I couldn't have said that better myself. That's exactly it. I forget in what thread I said it, but 95 db with the Quicksilvers sounds loads better than 95 db did with the 18 wpc SET amps. I could get 95 to 100 db with the Apollos, but it wasn't all that much fun to listen too. I do 95 db with the Quicksilvers, and the bandwidth just seems to go on forever in both directions. There is no edge, and I'm not grinding my teeth. The difference is substantial.

I think the transparency and immediacy of SET is awesome, but as soon as I would take the Apollos up a little, things would get nasty very quickly. The bass of the Apollos was outstanding, better than the Quicksilvers to my ear -- but I've been wondering how much of what I was hearing was really just the 2nd order harmonic distortion of the low notes piggy backing on the fundamentals.

It's a double edge sword. If you want the ultimate in transparency, you're going to have to give up the 'big sound'. Incredible imaging with the Apollos, which could push the soundstage almost to my chair at even the lowest volume levels. I do miss that sometimes -- buy hey, you can't have it all. However, I can achieve the same effect with the Quicksilvers by simply turning them up a little more. I just think the hard driving stuff, and Rock in general, just sounds better overall with some power underneath it all.

Choices should REALLY be based on size of the listening room, choice of music, and general listening habits. Everyone doesn't listen to K-horns and Jazz, that's just a fact --

Now, where's that Chevelle CD 3.gif

Not that it matters much but are we talking about the spl at 1 metre from the speakers or at your listening positions?

Guys, I dont want to be a drag on this but we are talking serious ear damage at these levels for anything more than about 10 minutes (guess).

For what it is worth I imagine my Heresies are capable of this level with my little KT88 based amps. From the limited knowledge I have I think that the KT88's are rather stronger at bass than the EL34's (at least according to my supplier - my amp can also use EL34's apparently as an alternative to the KT88/6550 familly).

For what it is worth I have never taken my system over about 100 dB - just never felt the need - but that is at my listening position which is about 3 metres from the speakers.

Come to think of it I believe there is something like a 6 dB drop per metre as you go away from the speakers so maybe I am already playing in the same ballpark.

If only I had an SPL meter... I'd try to compete. 9.gif

But, I don't have the extra $40 or so to drop on one, and can say that it is loud... that's about all. lol BTW, my listening position is less than 1m, so it is even louder, though it is possible to listen and sing along when outside of my house...