Using RF3's mains with SC center & SS surrounds

AChris

Would it be advised to combine RF-3s mains with SC center and SS surrounds. I know that the RF-3s are more efficient, but if I programmed the volume up on the center and surrounds to match the RF-3 mains, would the voice matching sound okay? Or would it sound noticeably different?

The reason I posted this question was because I have a synergy system now. I have SF-2s as mains and was thinking about replacing with the RF-3s for mains because I enjoy listening to two channel stereo quite a bit. My thinking was that I could mesh the components together. Perhaps I should upgrade to SP-1s and forget the RF-3s. Does anyone have an opinion? How do the SP-1s and RF-3s compare in sound production?

Until last week i had a pair of sf-1's and the sc-1. I upgraded to the rc-3 and what a huge difference! I wouldn't run the sc-1 with the rf-3's, too big a difference in sound and efficiency.

All I know about the sp-1's is what my dealer told me, "they sound terrible" Everyone here could probably agree that while klipsch makes some of the best speakers around, their subs leave a little to be desired. The last thing you want to do is stick one of those subs in the same cabinet as the speaker itself.

My advice, pick up an rc-3 first. it makes a huge difference for movies. Second, get a hold of the rf-3s. I doubt it will sound too good if you have the rf-3s and sc-1 going for movies.

In the end, do what you think sounds best.

AChris,and just to show you that opinions are still alive and well,my opinion is that Klipsch has in the past made some great subs.

I have three of them myself.When you start trying to satisfy the aesthetics(small)and price point(cheap)of loudspeakers you compromise sound quality(as pertains to recent subwoofer designs).Just a decent subwoofer a few years back easily surpassed $1000.To make a blanket statement that all powered speakers w/subs sound terrible,based

on listening to a speaker with a built in 8"

powered speaker,is pure ignorance of fact.I personally am right now running four Klipsch

powered towers and they sound unbelievable. Just yesterday I listened to the Reference Series while auditioning recievers.I left with a newfound respect for my powered towers.And Foost is absolutely right.Buy whatever sounds best to you.

Keith

I have the RF-3's and SC-1. If your starting out from scratch your probably better off with the RC-3. the SC-1 is a good center....and certainly far better then anything i had before....however it really can't quite keep up with the RF-3's. It's not bad by any means, but i get the definate feeling it could be better. I'll probably upgrade to the RC-3 over the summer and put the SC-1's on ebay or something.

The RC-3 is gonna look a little funny on my 25" TV.....but hey.....sound is foremost :-)

AChris:

I have RF-3's and RC-3 for the front soundstage, and SS-1 for surround. The large size of the RS-3's prohibited me from going all Reference. The sound blends seamlessly througout my system. I would advise you to definitely get the RC-3 to match the RF-3's in the front, but do whatever you want for the surrounds depending on your situation.

Where did the...

"To make a blanket statement that all powered speakers w/subs sound terrible, basedon listening to a speaker with a built in 8" powered speaker,is pure ignorance of fact."

...come from? If it related in any way to my earlier post, i was just conveying the message of my dealer. He said that the RP series sounded terrible to him. He's been doing this for over 30 years. klipsch for most of it.

AChris, i hope all this helps smile.gif

i hope i haven't implied a rap on powered towers myself by publicly favoring the rf-3 & a good sep sub over the rp-5 (ttk).

the rp-5 sound real good, & the 2 subs combine for some real fine bass output (had to keep the volume all way down on mine). bass was a lil 2 distorted for my tastes w/ music, but for HT they really rocked.

haven't heard the ksp, but they sound more like the quality kipsch of old. so doubt/wonder if rp & ksp can be compared too much.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!