fake horn gave 5 more dB

cdsang

Well I only say fake because it was just useing my computer speaker and 3 pieces of wood to creat a horn. I didn't need a 4th because the desk was the bottom piece. Anyway, I layed my dB meter about a foot away from the speakers and had the same song going. Without changing the volume or meter, i removed the pieces of wood and lost about 5 dB. The side pices were 12 by 8.5. and the top was just big enoght to cover to whole top. This gives me an idea how much louder my DIY project will be. This is good news for me. Just alittle something interesting thing to read. I knew it would be louder, but I didn't know how much. Also, belive it or not, it actually sounded better.

I was waiting for a bud of mine to come home the other day, and this kid next door was playing with his boom stereo in his car.

He must have had some industrial 15" subs in his ride, because this this thing was a major bass frequency generator.

But he takes the car and pulls it in the two car garage with one garage door shut.

The car subs gained about a 20 extra decibels by just pulling it in the garage.

He managed a massive horn loaded subwoofer with this effect.

I always thought that that is how Klipsch was able to have their speakers rated at a higher dB level (or sensitivity) than most others.

Their horn enclosure directs more sound waves to the direction of the listener.

I think your little experiment proved the point.

Not that it is bad.

I think this also gives more separation for better imaging.

Well, I had to take the whole thing down. Well it was like 1 in the morning. Also, I didn't want my parents compling about the mess I made. Well, if I can find my parents digital camra, I can set it up again as a before and after, even includeing the meter. Only problem is, music doesn't stay consistant. So when the picture is taken, it may not look like a change has happend. A 5 dB change in music isn't uncommon. Any ideas? Maybe a free MP3 I can download for this purpose. I didn't have much succes with the woofer thou. I didn't have any difference when useing a basic idea I saw for a bass horn. Maybe a differet disign is needed. I did try the normal horn, but the lower notes were drowned out.