RF-5 opinions

markmaple

I currently have the Reference 3 setup. When looking at the Klipsch brochure, I didn't see where the RF-5 was all that different to warrant the sizeable price jump. I also notice that on this forum lots of people have RF-3s and lots of people have RF-7s, but I don't see too many people with RF-5s. I have not yet heard either the 5s or the 7s, but have been considering upgrading to the 7s. Today, I had a salesman tell me that the 5s were the best sounding speaker of the Reference series. Now, I don't put much faith in this particular salesman, but that's what he said. I justed wanted to hear some opinions on the 5s vs the 3s and 7s.

I demo'd the 5's vs. 7's recently listening to different types of music and a movie. I was at a store and the salesman would flip the switch from one to the other. I thought the 7's produced more of a "real" sound in voices, especially listening to Nora Jones. Some may call this "bright" but I like it. The 7's also seemed to fill the room more for movies. The 5's were still better than other speakers he would switch to but, I decided if I was going to upgrade I'd go big. I shopped around and since Tweeter is longer going to carry the Reference series they had them on sale except the only one's left were beat up demo's. I went back to where I originally listened to them and they matched Tweeter's price. So I got a brand new pair of Cherry 7's and a Cherry RC-7 for $2300 after tax, not bad considering their list would have been about $3200 with tax.

The only substantial differences between the RF5 and the RF3 are the larger encasing and horn. I listened to the RF3, RF5, and the RF7. I ultimately selected the RF5 because I felt the RF7 would be total overkill for the room that my HT resides in. If you want the most bang for your buck (performance/price) I think the RF3 wins. However, I couldn't be more pleased with my RF5 pair!! 9.gif

BTW: I got a great deal on the RF5, which probably aided in my decision.

some people will you tell you that the 5's are the best sounding. the reason is that some people find the RF-7's to be a little bit to "horny" sounding and the RF-3's not quite enough. the RF-5's serve as a middle grounds so to speak. I went with the RF-5's because I felt they were a fair amount better sounding than the RF-3's (more open sounding, better imaging, better highs, and cleaner lows). I'd like to get a pair of RF-7's, but if I ever have that much money, I'll either get a really nice pair of lascala's or save al ittle longer and get khorns.