Question regarding "small" and "large" speaker settings

Kain

I realize that when you set a speaker to "small," the bass is directed to another speaker, most likely a subwoofer. But when you set a speaker to "large," the bass is sent to the speaker.

But, what happens when you set your center speaker and surround speakers to "small" and your main speakers to "large" when you do not have a subwoofer? Meaning, if bass is meant to be present in the center speaker, does it get directed to the main speakers? If so, wouldn't that sound odd?

I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a question of my own. YOu seem to have a setup that I'm seriously considering, how is the bass response on the complete R7 series as you have it now? Do you get any? And how do you like that Panasonic Plasma TV?

I would say that it would not direct teh low frequencies to the mains. It would direct them to the sub it thinks it has but doesn't. So, you would probably get little bass. I would think, though, that your center could belt out some low sound with little effort... 2.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2003 12:39:54 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

I dont know the answer to your question, but I have a question of my own. YOu seem to have a setup that I'm seriously considering, how is the bass response on the complete R7 series as you have it now? Do you get any? And how do you like that Panasonic Plasma TV?

----------------

I still need to get the amplifier, so right now I am not using the speakers.

However, the Panasonic plasma kicks ***! Picture quality is amazing once calibrated properly.

Kain,

I may be wrong here, but I think it depends on your receiver or pre/pro.

I'm in the market for a new receiver and have read a few manuals on the web. I'm pretty sure I've seen where with some equipment

if you have your sub set to "off", mains to "large" and the rest of the speakers to "small" then the bass from the smalls is sent to the mains.

How it works I have no idea. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken, I'm by no means an expert.