Rega Planet vs Cheap Denon

MBM135

Tonight I did a couple hours of comparison.

Rega Planet which I recently purchased (pre-owned, Mint, original model) Paid $370.

vs

Denon DCM-370 5 disk changer, circa 2001, HDCD capable, 20 bit Burr Brown DAC. Paid $270 new, sells new now for under $200.

Tested with Jolida 202 which, really isn't broken in yet; has only about 40 hours of play. Speakers are Forte IIs.

Wife and a friend listened in and also offered their impressions. We usually were unanimous in our votes.

What I thought would happen: Rega would bury the Denon dead in every category hands down, no competion, hall the Denon to the dump and get a Rega Planet T-shirt made.

What really happened: Whoa Nilly...not so fast. OK, these are different, no doubt. Rega can be described as laid back, definetly in the polite British CD player category. Denon is more in your face, louder. Wife kept asking if I changed volume between tests. Nope. Rega is warm. Denon has more "punch". Depends on the music too. Diana Krall revealed no perceptible difference. Really couldn't tell. Creed, Nickleback and Tonic (harder rock) initally sounded better on the Denon but after switching disks a few times I could see how the Rega sound is less fatiguing. Bass was slightly tighter and deeper on the Denon with rock. Some of my classical and instrumental CDs lent themselves better on the Rega. Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" sounded richer on the Rega. Older Fleetwood Mac was also richer on the Rega. Dire Straits new HDCD disk favors the Denon hands down.

So...hmmm...time will tell. Need the Jolida to break in some more. Interconnects? Cheap entry level Monster Cable on the Denon. Clarity Labs Emberglow, more expensive, on the Rega.

Overall the Rega has a different, but not astonishingly better sound than the cheaper 5-disk changer. But, both units sound great. Rega is easier to listen to for longer sretches. The Denon has a rock and roll, kick your *** personality. Depends on ones mood I guess. I always thought differences in CD players would be subtle.

Both sound TREMENDOUSLY BETTER than with my Harman Kardon Solid State HT Rcvr that I am relegating to my HT room only. Tubes warmed up both CD players.

Anyhow, the Rega is definetly a keeper but i am surprise the Denon, especially being an inexpensive changer, would compete. But, the Denon did get impressive reviews.

MM

Yeah, but you cheated your Denon by putting the weany cables on it. Not fair!

Which Monsters do you have on the Denon? Really cheap, or something better like the M550i?

You would actually notice more differences if you gave in to more time to compare. Detailed comparing is fatiquing in itself though.

A dead on system I use is only two or three discs I am VERY familiar with. Each disc is a different music type, and I play the crap out of them over a week or so.

Tubes are the miracle cure for digital. Yes?

Oh yeah, tubes are neat. I can listen to all kind of music, relatively loud and not get worn out. Almost like the tube sound is more "smooth" overall, hard to describe. Jolida guy says after about 100 hours or so the unit should really open up and soundstage will improve.

I am using the entry level Monster RCAs on the Denon. i guess I did cheat. It would be interesting to switch cables...my guess is that it wouldn't matter...but I will do that in a few weeks for the hell of it.

Some other notes: The Rega is built like a tank. like a piece of military hardware. Heavy and unique. Remote is weak but the player itelf is a testament to the elegance of basic simplicity.

Denon seems cheaply built, door groans when closing, etc. Display is too bright. The reviews weren't forgiving of the build but praised the sound as incredible for such an inexpensive unit.

Good point to really get familiar with your test music. I was just throwing in disks for a minute or two and swapping.

Mike