room size?

big_gto

I called Klipsch technical support about this a few months ago. I was trying to move the Khorns out from the wall to provide a more spacious sound while still maintaining the bass for which Khorns are known. I was also trying to create a 60 degree sweet spot to speaker angle. I was told that false walls, false corners, or what ever you want to call them could be placed behind the Khorns and still provide 100% of the 35Hz fast bass. The walls only have to come out to the front of the cabinets to get the full effect. That means that each wall needs only to be about 4 feet high and 3 or 4 feet long. Unfortunately, while Khorns remain in the corner, they have a 90 degree sweet spot to speaker angle. I put up with this for twenty years and hated it. I tried the center channel route, but the sound was still spread out too much to be realistic. Music is recorded for 60 degree angle listening. Anything else, even center channel additions, will not help. My Khorns are in a room 8x13x17 feet. The sweet spot now faces the 13 foot wall, not the 17 foot wall as before. The musical image now is totally realistic and enjoyable.16.gif

Hi GTO

Reds observations are correct. Let me share what I have found over the years.

First off, it is 4 feet on both walls required to be uncluttered for Khorns.

IMHO - I usually try to get the room 15 - 25 feet wide on the front. The main reason is if it is smaller you are so close to the front wall. If it is wider, say over 30 feet, the center is almost always a must.

Look up the Golden mean room. Its dims are great for 2 CH listening and what PWK prefered.

This is all fine when you are building a house, but most people have to make do with an existing room. If you have to go less than 15 feet, I would personally build false corners to direct the sound on an angle that works best in your room, this way the horns are pointing right at your sweet spot and you can be seated at a comfortable distance.

JM