Bought a pair NOS RCA redbase 5692 6SN7 tubes, need some advice on tube rolling

Hello, I bought a pair of NOS RCA

5692 redbase tubes from Welborne Labs for $48 a pair today, he had 2 pair & both sold. I am going to use the RCA in the Welborne Labs Revellie preamp when it is delivered at the end of the week. The Revellie will have the stock JAN Philips 6SN7 tubes & a pair of NOS Slyvania 6SN7 tubes. I am a tube novice and don't have any experience tube rolling. I want to buy a spare set of backup tubes for my Moondog 2A3 amps. Don't want to spend an arm & a leg but want to get some good tubes. Currently have Sovtek 2A3, Brimar

6SN7 & Mullard GZ-37 tubes in the Moondogs. I remember Kelly stating

that he liked the Sovtek 2A3, but did not like Sovtek 6SN7 or 5AR4/

GZ-34 tubes. Are the Sovtek 6SN7 or 5AR4 really that bad sounding?

Sovtek also makes Electro Harmonix

6SN7 tubes which are supposed to be an upgrade. Any NOS tube suggestions that will not be be super expensive. Thanks for the help. Did a little searching at the Asylum for info after I first posted. Gordon Rankin of Wavelegth

Audio thinks the Sovtek 5AR4 is a decent tube. Pland who has posted here says it is decent and also Jim McShane-Citation rebuilder says it a decent tube. I might as well try it out since they are inexpensive compared to NOS tubes.

Regards, Mike

If you want a nice NOS 6SN7, get a pair of Sylvania 6SN7GT/WGT/WGTA Chrometops. http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htmhttp://www.audiotubes.com/'>

Stay away from the Russian rectifier tubes and get yourself another Mullard. Chances are however, the one you currently have may outlive you. Word has it the Russian rectifying tubes are short lived.

Don't know much about 2A3's, but can only say if Kelly likes the Sovteks -- why not just stay with them?

Dean...we have the same supplier!!!

I absolutely second Dean's implied recommendation get your tubes from Brent. A great guy. Much more reliable than ebay. I have several pairs from Brent and they are always as described. Additionally, his site is a wealth of tube-related information. Very helpful to guide you through a nos tube purchase.

In my experiences, stay away from Russian or former Soviet Block driver tubes & rectifiers.

As far as rectifiers, you can't beat Mullard. Mullard made a ton of rebranded rectifier tubes (GE, RCA, etc.).

As far as 2A3 triode output tubes, go for some NOS or used (that test strong) USA made varieties. The black plates are nice as well as RCA gray plates. Sylvania, Ken-Rad (black glass), RCA, Raytheon, Philco, GE, etc. are all great tubes. Many were made by RCA & rebranded. You should pay from $20 - $75 per tube, maybe less if you find a good source.

Stay away from those high-priced single plate 2A3's. Way too much money for a very fragile tube (some say it has a design flaw). The double plate 2A3 is rugged & durable & some will sound as good as the pricey single-plates. If you can't get USA-made 2A3's, the Sovtek's are a good buy & don't sound so bad sonically.

My $0.02, have fun & enjoy your rollin',

Pete

Mike,

FWIW, I did a little tube rolling, 2a3 Sovtek, 2a3 Valve Art. I had the Valve Art's in first for about 100 hrs. break in. Then switched it out with the Sovtek's for the same. To be honest, at first when I installed the Sovteks the music appeared to have more weight in the mids and did notice a cleaner controlled bass, but not as deep, I thought this would be a break in issue. After the 100 hr. breakin I put the Valve Arts back in. To my ears they are more musical, the bass goes deeper with a more natural tone, were as the Sovteks sounded kind of dry and uninvolving. This is just my opinion and what I found in my system.

I have some NOS RCA's coming I'll keep you posted.

Tom