Sub woofer amp

foldedhorn

I have a pair of 4 year old la scala's with tube amps. I feel like they are a little weak on the low end could/would it be a good idea to get a transistor amp just to run my drivers and use the tubes for mid and high's. could I wire the crosovers to do so?

I saw a NHT sub amp on ebay is this what i need?

or can I use a Solid State amp.

I currently am not running a preamp and do not plan to. My CD has a variable output. My CD is my "preamp". my tube power amps have gain controls. The solid state amp I am looking to get would need them also. Correct???? So I could control my low end and raise it proportionatly with my cd player. does this make sence???

So can my La Scala crossovers be wired to do this?

thanks for your help

Yeah, you can do that, but you have to figure out how to split the crossover.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth though. With no preamp, you'll probably end up spending more time adjusting things than actually listening.

If i'm not mistaken, wouldn't your lack of bass be due to the low frequency rolloff of your LaScala rather than a lack of amplification to your woofer? I mean, they are pretty "flat" in a horn way... and boosting the power to the woofer would not only increase the volume of the lowest frequencies, but your mid bass as well.

If your looking for more bass in the 20Hz region, why not add a subwoofer with a built in amp and x-over, and plug it into a "Y" from your CD ? Would work well with your simple / minimalist type of setup 1.gif

What kind of tube amp are you using? As Formica mentioned, La Scala's don't go very low. That's likely the cause of the problem, not the amp. If it was your amp, then you should just get a better tube amp. But still, the La Scalas just won't go that low. Tubes can produce very good bass (some do, some don't).