Musings re Sound & Vision May 2003

dougdrake

Don't know if any of you have seen the May issue of S&V yet, but a couple observations:

1) Klipsch has a nice 8 page color insert on the complete Reference series, including the new stuff. Nicely done. Interesting graphic on the "corner ported" subs, too.

2) Rave review for Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1. I didn't realize you guys had packaged a DD/DTS pre-amp in there, too! Very cool.

3) An article entitled "Online Shoppers Beware" by John Sciacca, who is (I guess) God's gift to manufacturers everywhere. I can't recall ever having read a piece that so pandered to the manufacturers/authorized dealers and so condescended to the reader. Seldom do I react strongly enough to articles like this to warrant a comment, but I just about lost it reading this one. I could only picture the S&V editorial staff being approached by their advertisers begging them for an article about the evils of the dark side of "unauthorized" dealers. The whole thing smacked of a huge propaganda push written by the marketing arms of their key advertisers.

"Thanks to manufacturer training, retail salesmen in specialty stores often have a level of knowledge about their products that's hard to beat." Hmm, I can hardly remember what that's like. Granted, I'm not shopping at Esoteric Audio for a pair of Wilson Puppies, but my general experience in the mainstream audio stores (not the BB/CC of the world, either) does not reflect this.

Enough for now - I feel my blood pressure rising again.

DD

Doug,

Yes I saw the mag,the Klipsch multi page insert is very neat.You see the new subwoofers and the inside drawing showcasing the center port going up.Well done publicity

The GMX got a well deserved review,a bit on the TOO positive side.I did test the GMX and compared this system to a PM 5.1.Its a good sounding,but lacks analog 5.1 inputs!?The lack of 6 channel analog inputs is a definite low.

Now about the online retailers(glorified distributors)

Just imagine a world where you could only purchase audio gear online,you could not listen to the products.If you dont like the gear you send it back(waste of time and money)then order another hoping it will be satisfactory(or again waste your time and money).

I think that to get the full warranty the products should be purchased from an authorised dealer(who is monitored by the company),most online glorified distributors should lose any real warranties.The places that start dumping(selling close to cost) should lose the rights to see the brand.

Now online sales may prosper in the low to mid fi market.But high end will never prosper as mostly online business.Anyone spending big $$$$$$ wants to listen test the gear.Most high end gear can only be purchased from authorised dealers I applaud this.

And high end should NEVER be sold with poorly equipped mass market BS stores.

Call me snooty,but you dont mix pigs with pearls.

----------------

On 4/12/2003 6:00:10 PM TheEAR wrote:

Now online sales may prosper in the low to mid fi market.But high end will never prosper as mostly online business.Anyone spending big $$$$$$ wants to listen test the gear.Most high end gear can only be purchased from authorised dealers I applaud this.

And high end should NEVER be sold with poorly equipped mass market BS stores.

Call me snooty,but you dont mix pigs with pearls.

----------------

I've went and read that article. I'll have to agree with EAR's here on this one. I've dropped some pretty good coin on my setup (as no doubt that TheEAR's have on his) and for that kind of purchase, I'd rather go to a local, authorized dealer. That way, I'll have a local point of contact as well as being able to test and try out the gear. I have went through several sets of speakers before I decided on what I have now - no way I would have been able to do that with an on-line dealer.

However, if somebody wants to buy through an on-line unauthorized dealer - that is their perogative, after all, it is their money. But, they better be prepared to accept the risks involved (and hopefully done enough research to know what those risks are with the given dealer).

"And high end should NEVER be sold with poorly equipped mass market BS stores." - If I ever saw Krell and Dynaudio in a Best Buy along side the Blo$e and Sony - that would probably be the day I'd die 6.gif Best Buy may be a good place to check out some DVDs and CDs, or even the latest computer games, but not the first choice to for me to buy audio gear (although, I'll admit - it is fun to sometimes go in there and play with the Blo$e and laugh at the $#!++y quality of the "sound").

Don't get me wrong - I'm not interested in starting a debate of the authorized/nonauthorized variety. I was simply turned off by the tone of the whole thing and its "Pollyanna" attitude about how wonderful life is/will be if you buy from a local dealer. Let's call a spade a shovel- the outlets that Klipsch sells through are not the outlets that are typically staffed (in my experience) with the caliber of expertise/knowledge you might find at a "snooty" boutique store. :)

DD

----------------

On 4/12/2003 8:00:27 PM dougdrake wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I'm not interested in starting a debate of the authorized/nonauthorized variety. I was simply turned off by the tone of the whole thing and its "Pollyanna" attitude about how wonderful life is/will be if you buy from a local dealer. Let's call a spade a shovel- the outlets that Klipsch sells through are not the outlets that are typically staffed (in my experience) with the caliber of expertise/knowledge you might find at a "snooty" boutique store.
:)

DD

----------------

I do agree - the tone of the article did seem to make it seem like it should be part of the Ten Commandments in that "Thou Shalt Not Buy From Unauhorized Dealers!".

Fortunatly, the dealer I bought my Klipsch through did seem to have a knowledgable staff (which I am hearing seems to be the exception rather than the norm for Tweeter). It is certainly a step above the likes of Best Buy or even Circuit City (now that they got rid of commissioned sales staff). There are no really high-end "snooty" boutiques in this area - maybe farther north, closer into DC there may be. I do hear there is one in Maryland in or around Annapolis - but that is a little bit of a hike from my place.

Personally, for spending that kind of money, I'd rather try local sources first. Of course, there are some good equipment that can only be gotten through on-line dealers, such as SVS or Outlaw Audio.

Again, as I have stated before. If somebody chooses to buy through an unauthorized dealer, than they better be prepared to accept the risks involved. It is wise to research and make sure you understand the risks that are involved and if it is worth the savings. After all, it is your money and you should be able to spend it however you wish.

I agree also with Mr. Ear and Steve. And I see where Doug is coming from as well. You usually don't associate Klipsch with the snooty high-brow audio salons scattered throughout the country anymore, which is a shame (my Cornwalls that my dad bought in New Haven, CT was at a spiffy high-end audiophile retailer back in the day, and they're probably far and few between nowadays). But here in central FL, the local Sound Advice chains (Tweeters elsewhere) are nothing like Best Buy or Circuit City, and their sales staff seem quite knowledgable in the products they sell (at least at the stores I've frequent in Tampa and Orlando).

I, too read the advertisment flyer in the May 2003 Sound & Vision magazine, and I am very much impressed! I hope that Klipsch is taken more seriously in the audiophile circles...they deserve the attention and respect; indeed, they earned it!

----------------

On 4/12/2003 8:15:27 PM skonopa wrote:

Again, as I have stated before. If somebody chooses to buy through an unauthorized dealer, than they better be prepared to accept the risks involved. It is wise to research and make sure you understand the risks that are involved and if it is worth the savings. After all, it is your money and you should be able to spend it however you wish.

----------------

Steve - That's exactly the tone I think the author should have gone for, giving us a little credit for being thinking humans. Although, I realize, sometimes that's a bit far-fetched, too (LOL).

DD

"If I ever saw Krell and Dynaudio in a Best Buy along side the Blo$e and Sony - that would probably be the day I'd die "

I would not "die" so to speak because of a few bad choices made by a given company.I would however write and phone to the boss of the company and give him(her)a piece of my mind.Then sell the tainted gear and warn people about it,make them lose as much sales as possible.

Revenge is sweet

To me my Klipsch,Dynaudio and Totem are sacred and they should not be mixed with garbage,no cheapo gear should even power them.Shame on anyone who does not treat his/her Klipsch with respect