How to listen?

SteevieO

I have a Denon AVR3000. My main speakers are Klipsch Forte II, center is Klipsch KV2, rears are Bose 2001. When listening to music only, what is the best setting for the AVR3000? Should I set it to phantom to remove the center channel and just use the mains? On Dolby setting using all 5 speakers? How about the mode? I mostly listen to 70s rock (Pink Floyd, Who, etc.). Setting it on Rock mode seems to give it a funny sound.

I don't have a Denon receiver, but I dislike any processing or matrixing when I listen to music on my system. I set the receiver to dvd direct which bypasses all tone controls and effects settings. Try using it just as a two-channel stereo receiver without the use of extra processing or tone controls. You may find that you like it this way, you may not. To each his own. I personally find that the more processing that you apply to a signal, the worse it tends to become.

Michael hit the nail right on the...head...er, bag!

It shouldn't hurt anything to experiment and try out different settings (you may even like them), but in my opinion, for any serious 2-channel listening, use little or no processing to enjoy your music to its fullest!