Updated the pics on my web site

m00n

ok some of you have been asking how much progress I made on my theater of my vacation, so I added a bunch of new pics to my web site that shows you guys what progress I made over my vacation and where I am at today.

Oh and still no broken bones. Hell, I worked my *** off and didn't even get so much as a blister. 16.gif

Nice progress m00n - thanks for the updates.

Your flooring construction reminds me of the first time I built a deck. A friend of mine who owned a construction company took one look at my deck framing and asked, "Tom...a little over built donchathink? You plannning on having elephants walk across this deck?" 9.gif

Seriously though - nice work.

BTW - the first riser portion of the floor looks to be 2x4's, the next riser portion 2x8's and the last section 2x12's. Yes??

Tom Adams

Tom, yea it may be a little overbuilt. But I didn't want any sagging when they walked across it. I could have gone with 2 sheets of flooring, but decided to block the hell out of it instead. And yes, 2X4, 2X8 and 2X12. It was easier to build that way. No worries about screwing in hangers for the joists and this makes it sturdy as hell.

NOZ, I dunno how many seats. But you can easily put 3 people on the futon couch I have now. My wife wants me to build some furnature to stick in there... Na.. no thanks. I would rather go buy something.

NOZ, don't even get me started on that... Sore subject.

They just tore down an old theater here in town. I almost got some for free until I opened my big mouth. They told me they had stored some, but where planning on throwing the rest of the theater seats away, I said why? You can sell those. Now all the seats they saved are all tied up in "We don't know what were going to do with them now. But we are having an auction and but we don't know when..." blah blah blah... They were kick *** too. They were heavily padded and they rocked. Last week when I was on vacation, I just about told them to take thier seats and shove them up their....

All because I had to open my big mouth...11.gif

Thanks m00n.

FWIW - the wife & I have a house under construction and one of the things we both wanted in a floor plan was a dedicated media room. The wife has been so cool about all this even to the point of insisting that we paint the room a color that enhances viewing ease and getting seating that is comfortable - i.e. those recliner looking things that are geared towards HT use. The room measures 14'x26' and I was thinking of only doing two rows of seating. But now that I've seen your room, I might rethink that. I originally considered going the screen/projector route, but decided not to because: a) total cost B) bulb life & replacement cost and c) noise. For some reason my ears are sensitive to the frequency of the cooling fans that are used. Several projector setups that I've seen have "bothered" me unless the volume was turned up beyond what it should be. And the minute there was a pause in dialog or music - there that pesky noise would be. Anyhow - it's just a nit pic of mine. I still plan to wire for a projector in anticipation of when my hearing finally goes. 2.gif

FWIW2 - I plan to use all my Heritage speakers (Cornwalls FR & FL, Heresys for rear surrounds and center). I've got a pair of RS3's that I'm gonna try for side surrounds, but they might be replaced with Heresys too. Initally I'll use my 46" Mitsu Widescreen, but the wife says we need a 65" in that room (ged I love her). I'm also gonna make do with my trusty 'ol Denon 3300 and later upgrade to a pre/pro and seperate amp (the Outlaw stuff looks good and so does Sherbourn).

Anyhow - if you're half as excited as I am, you're beside yourself.

Tom Adams

Tom, yeah you can go 3 rows. My room is about 24 X 10. If I can do it you can too. I don't blame you for loving your wife, I wish my wife would tell me we needed bigger and more... Hmm, that didn't sound so good. 9.gif Every once in a while my wife slips up and actually shows some interest in this theater.

My next steps are:

get ceiling as close to perfect as possible

paint everything from top to bottom flat black, or flat charcoal gray

carpet the floor.

Once I have that done, I am going to move everything back into the room. At that point, I will start the decor which will consist of large cloth pannels. Think of an artists paint canves. I plan on making large panes wrapped in cloth and hanging them in the room. The room will be completely covered from top to bottom front to back. Don't think I am doing the ceiling though. The pannels will be about 3'X 8' long and will lay down long ways so that they run the length of the room. I am going with a red and black theme with the possibility of some cream accents.

I got the idea from an issue of Audio Video Interiers. Don't remember the issue though. If I had a scanner I would scan the photo in and display it. It won't be 100% identical to that room, but will be close.

At lunch today I went to the local Joanns fabric store. Found some friggen nice material that I like. However, @ $7.00 a yard, I may have to find something else.

Moon

Looking good. Going to be a great HT when your done,

Personally I do not like theater seating. IMO I would rather have a huge sectional or sofa on each level that you can get a lot of people on. Theater seats look cool, but only moderately comfortable.

Plus sofas are better for snuggling and what not after the kids go to bed1.gif

JM

----------------

On 4/15/2003 3:16:08 PM j-malotky wrote:

Moon

Personally I do not like theater seating. IMO I would rather have a huge sectional or sofa on each level that you can get a lot of people on. Theater seats look cool, but only moderately comfortable.

Plus sofas are better for snuggling and what not after the kids go to bed
1.gif

JM

----------------

I have thought about that myself. Very much so in fact. I think the overall comfort factor would be higher with regular loveseat/couches, which was part of the reason I didn't fly off the handle with the lady who was stringing me along on the phone with the theater chairs. I was irritated more on a principal factor than anything else.

Moon,

You room is looking great!!

Need advice -

I recently built a home theater room and now that it is complete, I hear rattling from two of my recessed light fixtures with loud bass notes. Do you have any suggestions on how to eliminate this?

Thanks

kmijeski

Have you tried clear rubber caulking? What is it exactly that is ratteling? Is it metal to metal or is it metal to wood? Not knowing exactly what it is that is ratteling, can you go down to your local fabric store and get some type of fire retardant material and stick between what is ratteling?

If it's what I think it is which would be the fixture itself and the decrative ring that sits on top of the sheetrock, I would try a very thin bead of clear rubber caulking, perhaps even smoothen it out with your finger and let it dry before you stick the ring back in place.

Just a thought. 1.gif

speaking of fire retardant cloth, are you gonna have emergency exits like they do at the local theater? and then have an intro that says, for your convenience in the event of a fire in my HT, the emergency exits are located, here , here and here? I mean, you are going all out..

----------------

On 4/15/2003 3:16:08 PM j-malotky wrote:

Moon

Plus sofas are better for snuggling and what not after the kids go to bed
1.gif

JM
----------------

We used a burgundy leather sofa that had recliners on each end of it that we picked up from Ashley Furniture last year, and it works great. We can snuggle when we want, and each stretch out when we want. Obviously, that would only work in the front row.

There's a guy they talk about on Home Theater Forum who sells the exact couch we bought for about $900 including shipping (less than we paid, of course). He also sells the HT chairs and other styles of couches. Seems his prices can't be beat. Unfortunately, I don't recall his name but if you search on couches or furniture or something like that I'm sure it will pop up.

m00n, I assume you're going with the auto dimming lighting, etc... via X-10 or some other control mechanism?

DD

DD

----------------

On 4/15/2003 4:59:10 PM dougdrake wrote:

m00n, I assume you're going with the auto dimming lighting, etc... via X-10 or some other control mechanism?

----------------

Yeah actually I am... Hey women, get over there and turn down the light.2.gif

----------------

On 4/15/2003 8:55:28 PM j-malotky wrote:

----------------

On 4/15/2003 5:02:29 PM m00n wrote:

Yeah actually I am... Hey women, get over there and turn down the light.
2.gif

----------------

On your way back from getting me a beer
1.gif

JM

----------------

ane my dinner. 9.gif

Moon

Thanks for the advice.

I was actually able to "fix" one of the recessed lights. The baffle was not installed flush with the trim peice that goes against the sheetrock (secures it up there). I moved it around to where it holds it more securely and now no rattle what soever from that one.

The other recessed lighting fixture is towards the back (2/3rds back) of the room and does makes just a small noise occasionally. The actual fixture seems to hang too low, therefore the trim and baffle does not secure it very tight against the sheetrock. Again, the noise that one makes is very minor and only occasional. I think I will try some adhesive caulk - even white since the trim and ceiling are both white.