Subwoofer for Home Stereo???

wired1

I see a fireball coming my way...

quote:

Originally posted by Ray Garrison:

For millions of years while we were evolving, the role of the male was to provide protection, shelter and food, usually accomplishing these tasks with the aid of fire, big heavy wooden clubs, muscles, and aggresive individualistic behaviour. The female was nurturing, protective of offspring and given to creating community groups providing increased protection and care of the children.

It seems, as a population, that we've abandoned our roles. Why are 70% of married couples both working, if men are supposed to be providing for the families? Why is it that 7 out of 10 working Moms would rather be at home caring for their families (which is, in my opinion, the most important job in the world for a man or woman)? Why are strangers at daycare centers raising our kids? I think it is sad that we "get to" check on our kids in the daycare center via a video camera hooked to a web site.

Don't misunderstand me -- I think if a woman OR man can succeed in the business world AND raise a well-balanced family and keep a good marriage, they should be hailed as heroes. Heck, I think a woman's place is in the kitchen with the kids AND HER HUSBAND. Who said that leaving our families 10 hours a day, 5 days a week was the right way to go?

I'm not trying to sound righteous here (even though it looks like it Smile.gif). Due to circumstances which I guess I chose not to control, my daughter went through the day-care thing herself. I went after the toys (car, boat, etc...). But in retrospect, knowing what I know now, I'd do it different.

Whew-just one man's opinion.

Doug

(Wow - talk about off-topic...sorry)

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-18-2001 at 11:19 AM

Hmmm, sound philosophy! Could it be that dougdrake seems to be approaching that Klipsch mid-life posting crises where the administrator will elevate him to "No Life" status... less than a hundred posts to go. Now I am beginning to understand Confused.gif what's between the horn and the driver in a Klipschead. Ain't it great! HornEd

Doug D,

Gotta jump in and amen your post re: men/women. I think we let priorities get lopsided sometimes. I miss the income my wife could generate, but I know her being here for the kids is priceless. So, we'll put off that minivan two or three more years. Everyday is just one more day with the kids that'll never be back again. Plus, I really believe it's better for the kids to have a stay at home parent, at least while they're pre-teens. I don't believe in "supermoms" who do it all. There is only so many hours in a day, so something's got to give.

How you likin' those heresies? I can't recall - are you sub'n them?

------------------

JDMcCall

quote:

Originally posted by James D McCall:

Plus, I really believe it's better for the kids to have a stay at home parent, at least while they're pre-teens....

How you likin' those heresies? I can't recall - are you sub'n them?

JD - As a parent of an ex-teenager, let me just tell you that if you can keep a parent home during the teen years, you (and the teen, in the long run) will be glad you did!! Smile.gif

I've got Forte's, BTW. Ross Taylor is the one with the Heresy's (and the La Scalas, and the RB-5s, and the RS-3s, and the RC-3, and...)

Oops! - Got my wires crossed.

I really liked that whole line; the Chorus, Forte, KG4 and so on. I think those were some of the best lookin' speakers klipsch ever built (for whatever that's worth).

------------------

JDMcCall

want a good subwoofer thats small and will kick your *** out of the room?? get a mirage ss1500 subwoofer so nice and small and powerful you will think its 4 times it size!! very efficient and has loads of output power....if you dont like that one wait for the klipsch top of the line because i am sure it will be a great subwoofer at least from all the specs i seen so far it will kick butt!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

DD/James-

I heartily agree with you. It's up to parents nowadays to make sure their kids are brought up correctly. If that means sacrificing a second income, then so be it. They money you "lose" will be small in comparison to what could happen if a child is not brought up correctly. My wife and I are contemplating the same thing when we decide to have kids. Both of us were brought up with someone at home, and it makes a huge difference. Though, telecommuting could make a big impact as well. We'll certainly look at that as a possibility.

As far as deserting the traditional roles, when you have a government like ours that taxes us at something like 40% of our income, you need two people to cover the bills. I hope we can afford it when we have kids.

quote:

Originally posted by jhawk92:

As far as deserting the traditional roles, when you have a government like ours that taxes us at something like 40% of our income, you need two people to cover the bills. I hope we can afford it when we have kids.

I wish you both well in that endeavor. I've found, personally, that once I make a decision to do something that somehow everything lines up to make it happen, rather than waiting for things to line up before making the decision. It's a small change in thinking that has yielded big results. You'll find a way to make it work out Smile.gif

As a friend of mine is fond of saying: "Just be glad you don't get all the government you pay for!"

If you want to read an interesting essay about the role of government, read The Law by Frederick Bastiat. It's a short paperback, translated into English. It was written long ago by a Frenchman about France. You'll be amazed by its applicability to the US today.

Doug