Subwoofer for Home Stereo???

wired1

I am in the process of purchasing a pair of LaScallas and would like to look into a sub. The question is... Which one??? I posted another topic in another room and said I was told to look into REL. The guys in the room said that REL wont keep up with LaScallas and should look into something else. Keep in mind thatthis is a home stereo - not a theater so I need a fast, loud, tight sub for about $2k.

Thanx!

LaScalas deserve your exacting concern... and maybe more than $2k might bring to some ears. You might explore the pragmatic concepts of the finicky "Legendary SubHuman" found at www.svsubwoofers.com for an approach to gaining 95% of the bass you desire. It is the top 5% that gets forces the physics into the fiscal realm. Essentially, his technique is to get all the bass there is and EQ out the undesirable aspects. Not a bad plan even if you are not on a budget.

What ever you do, LaScalas sing better when they have a great, natural bass to build upon. Enjoy! HornEd

I second the idea of contacting TV (SVS). I have a pair of Chorus II's (Klipsch all around) and recently purchased a pair of SVS 16-46cs subs with a Samson amp (~$1250). I do listen to both HT and music. I told Tom and posted elsewhere that yes the subs a outstanding for HT, but I think I liked them even better for music. Extremely fast and smooth. A great blend with my Chorus's.

There are lots of good subs out there. The coming Klipsch RSW-15 has an MSRP of $1700 and I believe it will do the job. I spent an afternoon listening to it play The Matrix and it can ROCK. HSU makes a pretty good linr of subs that are similar in design to SVS. I've heard HSUs and they are nice at normal listening levels. The Earthquake sub may be enough, be sure to check max. output levels on whatever sub you buy. All decent subs can play with La Scalas up to a point. when they max out you'll have to turn them down if you keep turning the La Scalas up.

John

John

John,

Im curious... I have heard nothing about the new Klipsch 15" sub and would like info on it. Do you know where I could get some? Also, since Im a bass player, I have a firm belief that the louder you play, the bigger the speaker needs to be. I know this is VERY subjective but this is totally true for a bass player live on stage. I have a cabinet (SWR Goliath Senior) with 6 10's and a horn. Live, the soundman couldn't believe how awesome my sound was but I was unhappy with the "feeling" of the bass at loud levels. I have a cabinet with 2 10's and 2 18's and NEVER have that problem. Anyway, what I am getting at is the fact that I believe that I would want at least a 12" or 15" sub. The only think I am worried about is if it can "keep up" with al the music I like to play. An honest opinion would be awesome....

Thanx!!!

Wired1 - Read through this posting for some info on the new Reference speakers:

http://www.klipsch.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001310.html

Also, excerpts from the literature at CES:

RSW-15: "...those who desire a true reference level product." 15" copper-colored aluminum cone front-firing passive radiator. 15" rear-firing driver featuring a 3" voice coil and a massive 7.5" 30lb magnet/motor structure. 1000 watt BASH amplifier. Choice of maple, cherry or black cedar wood veneer.

Thanx for the post. That is definately some good info although I would like more!!! smile.gif Does anyone know if their have been any reviews on any of these subs yet? I am DEFINATELY interested in the 15" so maybe I'll ask my dealer about it. The main question I have is how musical is it. Again, I am worried about it keeping up with fast music.

Thanx guys!

Easy for you to say!!!! It really blows cause I have to wait months for my LaScallas so I am eager to get more info on the sub. My dealer didn't know much about it but he said it was supposed to be pretty nice. I have a strong feeling that I may get the 15" without even listening to it smile.gif (although Im sure I will first).

Wired1

The reason you cannot yet find reviews or much other information is that the product has not yet come to market. Once it does, there will be info, reviews and plenty of personal opinion on the quality of the product. I do relate to your excitement. Once paid for a preamp which became available 12 months after I paid. Got s/n 001.

BobG,

Its seems very awkward that the products will be released so soon and their is nothing on them. Seems pretty weird to only advertise when the products are released. There is usually some type of promotion regarding new products by any company to build anticipation...?

The RSW-15 was an awesome sub and, I think, well worth waiting for. We listened to it for a couple of days with the new Jubilees, in both music and movie demos. It looks incredibly cool - one of the best looking subs I've ever seen. The easily accessible volume dial on the side was a nice touch, too. As far as sound goes, it kept up nicely with the Jubilees. In fact, this setup had a pair of Jubilees, a Belle center, and 8 Heresy surrounds. The RSW-15 was very impressive, even with all these "fast" horn speakers. I have no doubt that this sub would be a great match for LaScalas (or just about anything else, for that matter).

Now, if I only had the bucks to buy one... frown.gif

Ross

Hey Boa... congratulations on post number 1111 for "that's Klipsch." I noticed that your 1,000 post got you the title "no life"... yet BobG has nearly twice the posts and has yet to have his life style impugned!

Rock on feathered serpent. HornEd

Ross,

Whatever you are talking in price multiply that by 2 and that will give you the Aussie equivalent in dollars... the price I pay for relocating to the lucky Country.

PS what is the price of the new sub

ed, thanks but if u take away all my wise acre remarks like that 1 i'd be back at crazy

-we need a higher level to shoot for once we get to 1k like ultra no life @ 2k biggrin.gif

rusty - i believe it will be A$3400. we may need an exchange rate calculator on this BB biggrin.gif

Ross,

Thanks for the offer. Couple of problems with bringing them back the least of them is the import Duty. The main problem is the Wife Factor. I know there is a whole section on this BB dedicated to this topic. It must be a global female thing not to appreciate a good sound system!

Rusty

• 2 weeks later...

Rusty-

I think it is a cross between appreciate and tolerate from the general female population. Granted, there are a few ladies who appreciate a nice system, but most don't understand the good feelings us guys get when the walls shake with music or a good DVD. But then again, I don't understand the draw that Martha Stewart has. I guess "it's a good thing" we each have our own pursuits and passions.

Just couldn't resist the urge to chime in with an outdated sexist male chauvinist type observation Biggrin.gif ...

For millions of years while we were evolving, the role of the male was to provide protection, shelter and food, usually accomplishing these tasks with the aid of fire, big heavy wooden clubs, muscles, and aggresive individualistic behaviour. The female was nurturing, protective of offspring and given to creating community groups providing increased protection and care of the children.

End result circa 21st century Western civilization:

Men like:

Big Thumping Woofers

Loud (but GOOD!) sound

Big V8 engines

Power tools

U-571

Steak

Beer / Whiskey

Football

Women

Women like:

Nice sounding stereos that don't call too much attention to themselves

Music that's not harsh

Safe cars that get good mileage and look cute

Gardening tools

Bridges of Madison County

Pasta

Wine

This Old House

Men

Of course, there are always overlaps and exceptions, but by and large that seems to be true.

Okay, flame away... where's that Nomex suit...

Oh, Bev, sorry, you're one of the exceptions.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering