Should all rear speakers be the same?

bnewt

Another pair of RF-3s, RF-5s or RB Monitors would be the cats meow for rear musical duty. Assuming cost and real estate are a concern, I would suggest RS-7s and RS-3/IIs. I dont think the SS1s or the SB1s are adequate for the RF-3 Fronts. The RF-3s will surely dominate, causing you to push the surrounds harder in an attempt to keep up.

KSP-S6's are great surrounds too. They are one of the few surround designed speakers that I've heard deliver sounds as close to fulfilling as full range speakers. I've not heard the RS-7's, so I can't personally comment on them, but have seen many positives reviews here and elsewhere.

ditto on the performance of ksp-s6's. i have them, and incorporating the flexible bass management in my strda777ES receiver(separate roll-off-to-sub for front, center, and surrounds)i have the bass roll off at 60-70Hz, and they do a great job.

VERY important imho, is the positioning of the surrounds. i chose the s6's because of where i HAD to place them(4ft.behind and 3ft. above my head appx.)this made their 'wedge' design better for MY room than the rs-7's 'mesa' design because the front horn and woofer points at my sweet spot for direct sound(especially good for music), and the back horn and woofer(2ft.in front of my rear wall) bounce sound off the rear wall for dispersed sound. if i could put them beside me, i would consider rs-7's and a matching center rear,possibly a rc-7 in your case.

avman.

reference and synergy are very different sounding speaks, you would have a timbre problem, your sounds coming from speaker to speaker will appear to jump, as opposed to just flowing across the room stay with reference, you will be extremly pleased, and for not that much more money, it is an outstanding investment12.gif

In a "perfect world" they would all be the same...(except, of course, the sub) Although some, I am sure, argue this too. Someday someone is going to use false corners in a k horn use it as a center...with k horns left right and rears.....wooo hooo..THAT will be a killer system.

With the introduction of multi channel full sound that seems to be coming our way....all around this makes even more sense.