Speaker Stand Height?

bacevedo

I have the RB5 bookshelf speakers. I am looking at speaker stands for them.

Will a 21" stand be a good height for them? That would put the tops of the speakers at about 38", but the center of the tweeter at about 34". Is that still too low? Should I get a 24" speaker stand if I can find one, or will there not be enough of a difference?

Can some Klipsch people make some recommendations for me?

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

bacevedo,I'm not a Klipsch person(in fact I don't even like Klipsch speakers)but to try and answer your question: the tweeters in your fantastic RB5's should be at approximately, seated ear height.

Keith

bacevedo:

The height of your RB-5's, in this case, should correspond to your main listening area. The Tractrix horns have a radiation pattern of 90 degrees horizontal by 60 degrees vertical. Ideally, while you are in your listening area in position (normally sitting unless you like to stand when you listen) you should be able to look "down the throat" of the horn of the high/midrange driver. This insures that the sound is concentrated to your listening area. Therefore, not only should you adjust for height but, depending on where the speakers are placed, you may need to "toe them in" to place the horns accordingly. This will not only send the majority of the sound to the listening area, it will also miminize reflected sound, which colors mid and high frequency information.

PhilH

Thanks!

So in my case, when seated, my ears are about 39" up. Since, the middle of the horns are about 13" up, I should try to get a speaker stand of about 26"? If I got a speaker stand of 24", would the 2" make that much of a difference?

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan - I understand the quest for correct placement. I think you've probably got a few inches to play with, without diminishing the listening experience. If your ears are at 39", is that when you are sitting ramrod straight, medium slouched, or totally slouched smile.gif? In other words, I think your sitting position will have a few variances from time to time, so I don't imagine 2" will make a difference on the speaker height. Enjoy!

Doug

Doug,

39" is probably about medium slouched to straight up. I think I may be being a bit anal about doing this "perfectly". Half the time we are listening to music we are up about doing things in the house - and it is in 5 CH stereo. But I just want it to be correct so when I do feel like sitting down and doing some serious listening, I can get the best sound. Most speaker stands that I see are usually about 21", and I just want to make sure I don't buy them, and then still have a problem with the sound. I am thinking about a 24" stand that I found on audioadvisor.com.

Keith, if you don't like Klipsch speakers (were you being serious or joking?) why are you on the Klipsch bulletin board? How did you find out about it? What don't you like about them? Just curious.

Thanks for the input.

Bryan

bacevedo,yea I was just kidding.Figured that would bring plenty of responses to your question, along with my anal remark.And oh,don't worry about being anal,you'll be in good company here.HEY, by the way just today found a heck of a deal on a pair of highly sought after Klipsch speakers.Won't spill my guts om em till I get them home though.And another thing,if possible,those great speakers of yours should be spaced apart equidistant from your seating position.In other words forming an eqaulateral triangle. Improves imaging with music.And no a few inches won't make much difference.I tell my wife that all the time.

Keith

Keith - you actually made me chuckle - out loud. That was funny! I realized after I posted my reply that you were most likely kidding.

I am going to order some 26" speaker stands. They are the perfect height for my speakers. I guess people with the RF3's have their tweeters a little low? Why doesn't Klipsch make their tower speakers with the tweeters at optimum height? Maybe it doesn't really matter that much after all. I guess you just don't want to be off by 2 feet or something like that.

By the way - these are great speakers. I love them - the best bookshelfs out there! I have read some pretty good reviews of them, and also saw that studios are using these as monitors! Made me feel pretty good about my purchase!

My other purchase (the Denon AVR3801) also got a good review in Sound & Vision. So far, I am feeling like I picked out a winner of a system.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

bacevedo,sounds like you got a great system going.Just make sure you buy timbre matching speakers to go with those RB5's and you will have a killer system that you can enjoy for years.And in the long run you'll save money by not spending your money on speakers that you're not happy with.I've been trying to buy a 3801 myself but just can't quit running across great deals on speakers that I really don't need.And I believe the reason that Klipsch builds some of their towers so short is because most of the people that work there are short.I believe that's why BobG knows so much about Butric Acid.Anyway, good luck on building you system.

Keith

Thanks for the entertainment.

Actually, my system is complete. It consists of the following:

Mitsubishi 60" RPTV (VS60603)

Denon AVR3801

Denon DVM1800 (5 Disc DVD Changer)

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR (hardly ever use it)

RCA DirecTV

Klipsch RB5 L&R

Klipsch RC3 Center

Klipsch RCW3 In-wall surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 Sub

Monster AC Line Conditioner (1000 model)

Radio Shack Gold Series Interconnects

I agree about the timbre matching - my system actuall timbre matches from front to back as well. On my AVIA DVD, they have a pink noise pan - and it pans seemlessly around the room. You can't hear the "handoff" between any of the speakers.

I actually went and saw a movie last night - and I came to the conclusion that my home theater actually does sound better! The bass was quite boomy - I never realized that before until I actually started tuning my own system. Now if only I could get one of those new DLP projectors and I could match the theater screen experience as well.

The 3801 is quite a receiver - I will have this system for years to come - and never have to worry about upgrading - I will be with 5.1 for a while, and don't feel the need to even use the 6.1 of my receiver. Besides, I use the extra channels to power my Living room and patio speakers.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Danny,

I love the RB-5's. They are very nice sounding speakers. I haven't ordered the speaker stands yet, but I am going to be ordering 26" Wood Tech speaker stands from Crutchfield. They are $70 for the pair, but I have a $25 credit.

The thing I like most about the RB-5's is that they have the exact same drivers as the RP5 - without the sub. I have a lot more placement options with them, and their build quality seems a little better. I wouldn't say that they are built better, but they seem more structurally solid. They are pretty heavy!

Bryan

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. My local dealer doesn't have the RB5's in stock so I cant listen to them. He told me as soon as he gets any they sell out quick. I really want to give them a listen. I like what you said about having more options for speaker placement. That is what I'm looking for.

Keith,

I don't know yet. I am trying to sell my present house. Once that's sold, the new house's I've been looking at don't have room for the KLF's in the living room. I'm thinking about using the RB5's with my KLF-C7 and KSF-S5's. One house I looked at the KLF's would fit in the master bedroom.

If I can't fit the present system in the new house I probably will sell the whole HT system.

I really am more into 2 channel. The ex-wife liked watching movies. I am suppose to pick up a Parasound PLD-1100 preamp and a TDQ-1600 tunner this week to go with my HCA1500a amp. I am going to use the above with a pair of RB5's for the bedroom and keep the Denon and KLF's for the living room if I can find the right house. If I can't find the right house..Have I got a deal for you.

Danny