New 2003 Khorns - two weeks later

DTLongo

DT - I have an old beast of a Kenwood (KR9600) that I currently use with my cornwalls. Although I'm in the market for a Scott 299B as was suggested, I also have an Audio Control C-101 EQ hooked up with the Kenwood. It makes a world of difference. Tightens up highs, mids and lows. Like night and day when you A/B it. If I had khorns I'd find tube gear before doing anything else but I thought I'd share that with you.

Thank you all for your reply posts thusfar. Very interesting reading!

A question: as my new Khorns break in, what differences in their sound should I normally hear and, assuming they're running a couple of hours a day, how long before they are fully broken in? I think I am already hearing some change for the better. But since these are my first topmost-quality speakers, before reporting my impressions further I would like to know what other people's experiences have been. Thanks!

DT, I too think that the "lack" of bass at lower volumes is mostly perceptual and perhaps flavored by your personal perferences. nothing wrong with that! if you like more bass than the k-horns are putting out at lower or mid volumes than by all means tweak with the loudness or tone controls. however, I too think that your pre and power amplification can make a huge difference in sound quality, especially when coupled with speakers as accurate and revealing as the k-horns. by all means save up for top quality amp/preamps...or if you cannot wait go the vintage route as many of us have. scott, fischer, marantz, Mcintosh, dynaco, pilot, leak, eico any of these brands of tube amps will improve the sound of the k-horns at very modest prices. your investment in speakers deserves to be reflected in equally capable electronics. enjoy for now but plan for later...warm regards, tony

DT, for what it's worth, I'm going to be selling my "perfect" Eico HF-81 soon ... to make way for a very nice pair of SET monoblocks from Jeff Lessard. The -81 is a FINE sounding vintage integrated tube amp; all the work's been done by Craig (NOS) and it's been recapped and tweaked, restored ... retubed.

$595 is a very good deal I think. It's less than what I have in it. Contact me if you're interested. It sounds fabulous with my 1976 Klipschorns.