Monster AV-15 sub arrived....

jstanton8

I got my AV-15 sub from Acoustic Visions/Stryke Saturday and this thing is a capital M/boldfaced MONSTER both in size and performance. I do not have a rat shack SPL meter so have not calibrated it yet, and cannot give you any numbers at this point, just subjective impressions.

It's huge. The guy who dropped it off the back of the delivery truck said it was "140 lbs". It felt like it. Took both of us to get it into the house. It's supposed to be a 24" cube. But it's huge...it's damn near as big as the bass section of the Klipschorn it's sitting in front of. I think the 24" dimension must be the INSIDE dimensions. Since it's made from double thickness 3/4" MDF, that could explain why it's obviously larger than 24" in its outer dimensions.

It DWARFS the Klipsch KSW-15 whose place it took. You could fit 3, maybe 4 Klipsch 15" subs in that enclosure and still have room for some ice and beers.

Oh yeah, it's got two 1600 gm 18" Stryke PR's, too: "Gee, it's got lotsa speakers, don't it??.."

I had planned to hook it up to a 700W pro amplifier, but had to use one of the Rythmik Audio 380 watt plate amps instead, because for whatever reason my pro amp (with a pre-amp) will not drive the LFE coming out of my A/V amp. (????) But even supplied with a measly 380 watts this beast easily keeps up with my K-horns now. I now truly fear for the structural integrity of my dwelling and for those objects which rest inside it.

My next impression (after "goddamm that thing's big") was you would probably have to pay a couple grand to get something like this commercially. I paid MUCH much less for this...

I did not have the tools or the ability to build something like this for myself. The alternative (other than going commercial) was to have someone build it for me. For anybody who's thinking of buying a "commercial" sub, going DIY or (as in my case) having someone build one for you doubles or triples the value of your dollar. I had considered going "SVS" (bang-for-buck ratio) but would now recommend this route to anyone wanting to get their money's worth, unless you just can't wait and gotta have that sub as soon as you plop down the cash. In my case it appears it was worth the wait.

Wait lemme check my math: how many Cerwin-Vega bass bins could I have got for $600 some dollars?

ANSWER: NO CERWIN VEGA BASS BINS HAHAHAHA

----------------

Wait lemme check my math: how many Cerwin-Vega bass bins could I have got for $600 some dollars?

ANSWER: NO CERWIN VEGA BASS BINS HAHAHAHA

----------------

LOL

9.gif

Congrats on the new sub. I just sold my CS Ulta and decided to get on the 2nd preorder for the AV-15's, I'm getting two. Also just got a Samson S1500 yesterday for $369 shipped.

A 24" cube doesn't seem that big until you actually see it does it. I bought an Infinity Sub that was a little larger than a 20" cube and it was much larger than I figured.

Man, that sub sounds like just what I am looking for? Where is the place located that built it for you? Is it a dual voice coil subwoofer?, I am thinking of the DIY thing using an 18" Subwoofer and feeding it 250W per channel either via the LFE out on my A/V receiver or using my DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover. I recently parted with my KSW-15 to purchase the Velodyne F1500R, I go pick up the Velodyne this Friday and it weighs in at 98 lbs and is 20" cubed. I'll wait and see what it sounds like and then decide. The DBX SW-3830 I have is a 15" Dispersion Drive Subwoofer currently being fed by a DBX BX-2 amplifier with 250W per channel and crossed over @ 50Hz and it seems to be doing most of the work. The damn KSW-15 would only kick in when the volume level was at a certain point which was most annoying. Can you post a photo I would like to see what it looks like. 9.gif

Frankie:

Two of those AV-15 bastards are more than any sane, crazy, or even semi-retarded person should ever need, want, or envision. I only got half power going to mine now and for me (insane & retarded) it is ENOUGH. Where before I had low frequency "troughs and valleys" in various positions around the room, now I just have BASS. Lots of it. And it not longer hides in the corner. It does not need another similar sub stacked on top. It cares not about "nulls"...it fills the entire room and is just THERE. Just wait'll I get an SPL meter and my Behringer on the job...

Hey Frankie, where can I get a good deal on a 700-1000 W subwoofer amp? Mine won't work of my LFE for some reason...

Butthead: Uhhh, I don't like subwoofers no more, uhhhh, they're too LOUD and stuff...duhhhh....

1.gif

It is probably not working off the LFE output since signal has to be present in the source for it to be able to output it. Try running it off a tape loop, hopefully your Behringer has a crossover in it. I find the LFE signal to be on the low side sometimes.

----------------

On 4/22/2003 11:46:26 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Man, that sub sounds like just what I am looking for? Where is the place located that built it for you? Is it a dual voice coil subwoofer?....The damn KSW-15 would only kick in when the volume level was at a certain point which was most annoying....Can you post a photo I would like to see what it looks like. ----------------

You can talk to two people, either:

Kyle Richardson, at Acoustic Visions

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/

OR

Brian Bunge at

Rutledge Design:

http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/main.html

Either of these guys know what they are doing. As for your other questions:

1)The AV-15 WAS a DVC but I had them wire it in series for a 4 ohm load...

2)I know how to solve your KSW-15 not-turning-on-problem: don't ever turn it off. Mine's been on for over 3 YEARS now. Better yet, get rid of it (I know where you might be able to pick up some killer CV industrial bass bins...) Just kidding, I still have my KSW-15...

I can get FILM pictures of it, but no digital...how do you expect me to afford a digi-cam when I have these low frequencies to contend with? Sheeeshh...10.gif

I got my amp from Zzounds.com.

Samson S1500 - 750Wx2@4ohms for $369 shipped

Samson S2000 - 1000Wx2@4 ohms for $$429 shipped

(keep in mind these amps can do do 4ohms bridged)

These amps are factory resealed and they have a limited supply. I was going to get the S2000 but for the AV-15's but I did the math and it only get's me about 1dB more output so I figured I'd save $60.

What was the problem you were having with hooking up a pro amp? I had a problem with my Yamaha receiver driving a Samson S1000, it couldn't output enough voltage to drive the Samson. Is this what you're talking about?

If so, I fixed the problem by boosting the signal with this RCA mini amp I got for $60. Later I bought the SVS Bass Interface to do the same thing but it adds variable phase, and subsonic filter.

I still have that RCA amp if you're interested in buying it. I'd sell it for $35 shipped.

----------------

On 4/22/2003 12:07:45 PM Frzninvt wrote:

It is probably not working off the LFE output since signal has to be present in the source for it to be able to output it. Try running it off a tape loop, hopefully your Behringer has a crossover in it. I find the LFE signal to be on the low side sometimes.

----------------

There's signal from the LFE alright because the sub work's fine when a plate amp is used. Swap it out for the pro amp and NOTHING. Funny thing is the pro amp WILL work just fine IF AND ONLY IF you send it a split (full-range) signal from the head unit. WTF? I have NO idea what the hell is going on here. I'm gonna have to ask Frankie if he'll part with his line-level amp....

----------------

On 4/22/2003 12:27:58 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

What was the problem you were having with hooking up a pro amp? I had a problem with my Yamaha receiver driving a Samson S1000, it couldn't output enough voltage to drive the Samson. Is this what you're talking about?

I still have that RCA amp if you're interested in buying it. I'd sell it for $35 shipped.

----------------

Hey Frankie:

The pro amp I'm using has NO volume control, just an ON/OFF switch. So I've been using a Pioneer pre-amp with it also. Like I said above, this set-up works fine for a split signal (full-range) from the head unit, but will do nothing with the LFE output. Is it possible the voltage output from the head unit is THAT much greater than from the LFE?

Wouldn't using a line amplifier (like the SVS Bass Interface or your RCA amp) in effect be like just putting ANOTHER pre-amp in-line before the amp? A pre-pre amplifier? Just how many damn pre-amps do these pro amps need, anyway?

Considering I'm already using ONE pre-amp to no avail for the LFE, maybe TWO might work?

I'm gonna go for one of those SVS Bass thingys soon, but they are back-ordered right now anyway. I just may have to take you up on that RCA amp doo-dad...

5.gif

jstanton8: Which Pro amp do you have? Just wondering if it's not a combination of a couple of things. It's not uncommon for pro-amps to have built in low-pass filters which may rolloff anything below 20Hz ... and if you combine that with a LFE set at a relatively low crossover point, and a slightly less sensitive line-level input on the amp... might all combine to give a pretty low output.

You can try playing with the settings on your receiver, increase the x-over point, and increase the subwoofer level... see what it gives you. Also give your amps specs a look over.

----------------

On 4/22/2003 2:19:48 PM formica wrote:

jstanton8: Which Pro amp do you have? Just wondering if it's not a combination of a couple of things. It's not uncommon for pro-amps to have built in low-pass filters which may rolloff anything below 20Hz ... and if you combine that with a LFE set at a relatively low crossover point, and a slightly less sensitive line-level input on the amp... might all combine to give a pretty low output.

You can try playing with the settings on your receiver, increase the x-over point, and increase the subwoofer level... see what it gives you. Also give your amps specs a look over.

----------------

Hey Formica:

It's an "SCS (Sound Control Systems) Reference Amplifier". Company now defunct (got it one e-bay, aaarrghh). NO volume control whatsover. So it would HAVE to have SOME sort of pre-amp...

The LFE level on the Yamaha DSP-A1 is maxed out at "0", you can only decrease it. The x-over point is fixed, set at 90 Hz as I recall.

What sort of amp specs would be helpful for troubleshooting the amp? I think there may be some impedance figures on the back I can get when I get home.

To see if there's an unwanted low-pass filter on the amp maybe I should feed the bastard some test tones from 30 Hz on down and see what happens.

I was thinking about adding ANOTHER pre-amp to the line in addition to the one that's already on it and see what happens....

----------------

On 4/22/2003 2:49:22 PM jstanton8 wrote:

To see if there's an unwanted low-pass filter on the amp maybe I should feed the bastard some test tones from 30 Hz on down and see what happens.

----------------

I think you've got a good idea... Try:

1) full-range line level output and drive it with a series of test-tones, see where it cuts off

2) LFE out-put with the same series of test-tones see where it cuts off both upper end and lower end

----------------

Hey Frankie:

The pro amp I'm using has NO volume control, just an ON/OFF switch. So I've been using a Pioneer pre-amp with it also. Like I said above, this set-up works fine for a split signal (full-range) from the head unit, but will do nothing with the LFE output. Is it possible the voltage output from the head unit is THAT much greater than from the LFE?

Wouldn't using a line amplifier (like the SVS Bass Interface or your RCA amp) in effect be like just putting ANOTHER pre-amp in-line before the amp? A pre-pre amplifier? Just how many damn pre-amps do these pro amps need, anyway?

Considering I'm already using ONE pre-amp to no avail for the LFE, maybe TWO might work?

I'm gonna go for one of those SVS Bass thingys soon, but they are back-ordered right now anyway. I just may have to take you up on that RCA amp doo-dad...

5.gif

----------------

I really don't know what to tell you. What is the Pioneer preamp you're using? Is it no output with the pro amp or just low ouput?

----------------

On 4/22/2003 11:53:19 AM jstanton8 wrote:

Frankie:

Two of those AV-15 bastards are more than any sane, crazy, or even semi-retarded person should ever need, want, or envision. I only got half power going to mine now and for me (insane & retarded) it is ENOUGH.
1.gif

----------------

You can call me fully retarded9.gif, because I'm thinking of doing each in a 7.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 19hz, with an 8" port for each. My brother ordered an AV-15 for his car with the 1st preorder, we built a 3 cu ft sealed enclosure. He doesn't have a car yet so I'm using that right now.