Is there a good musical sub for under $500?

Just1n20

I listen to mostly music but I'm working on my home theater setup. Since i'm 18 and still in highschool earning the money for all this stuff myself, I'm looking to spend under $500. Doesn't have to be be more then 150watts since my bedroom is only 12'x12'. I don't want one that's boomy, and I'd prefer one that is nice and tight, and low frequence responce if possible(i know i'm picky). Drumkicks and short bass guitar strokes that last more then a fraction of a second ruin music. I was considering a Mirage LF-100. It's $299, 100watt, and FR down to 27 hertz. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is there a good musical sub for under $500?

I have three answers, depending on what your definition of "good" and "musical" are:

a) There are no good musical subs for under $500...

B) Have Kyle Richardson or Brian Bunge build one for you. It will be both good as well as musical...

c) Do what Doug said. Concentrate on getting an unpowered (passive) sub and worry about getting a cheap amp to drive it later.1.gif

ya so i'm considering this SV sub, and i'm curious... It says 350watts RMS handle, but i have a 100watt stereo receiver rated at 8ohms... this mean i should get an amp for like studio monitors, ya know the ones that are in most music gear catalogs? and secondly, can i still get an amp less then 350watts, cause that may be a little overpowering in a 12x12 room? cause if so then i'm going to go with this passive sub idea, plus it goes down to 25hz and thats what i'm looking for. I haven't seen any mono-amps either know of any? thanks for the suggestions, i know i'm asking ever question imaginable.

Remember that halfing of the power (350W / 2 = 175W) will give you a 3db drop in the overall volume... not a huge difference. A guestimate for your 100W amp would be around 5db drop...

If you buy a passive sub, there are a couple of things you should verify:

1) note the rated resistance of the sub.... (4ohms? 8ohms? or dual voice coils giving different resistances )

2) note into how many ohms the amplifier power is rated... (some amps won't handle 4ohms while other will put out as much as double the power into 4ohms versus 8ohms)

----------------

On 4/22/2003 9:08:26 PM Just1n20 wrote:

ya so i'm considering this SV sub, and i'm curious... It says 350watts RMS handle, but i have a 100watt stereo receiver rated at 8ohms... this mean i should get an amp for like studio monitors, ya know the ones that are in most music gear catalogs? and secondly, can i still get an amp less then 350watts, cause that may be a little overpowering in a 12x12 room? cause if so then i'm going to go with this passive sub idea, plus it goes down to 25hz and thats what i'm looking for. I haven't seen any mono-amps either know of any? thanks for the suggestions, i know i'm asking ever question imaginable.

----------------

Your 100 watt stereo amp should power it fine. My brother is using my Audiosource Amp5.1(100w@4ohms) to power a DIY sub using the original SVS CS driver(current driver is capable of more output). It's tuned to 17hz which means it has less overall output than the 25-31cs but he can still hit well over 100dB in his 1500cu ft room.

Any glib response will tell you that bigger is better in the realm of subwoofers. But if you examine the shake value ratings versus the price at the excellent article http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_4/subwoofers-12-2001.html (Subwoofers Under the Christmas Tree - December, 2001 by Brian Weatherhead), you will see that sometimes more is a better value.

Take the lowly KSW-15 sub, for example, this has a shake value of only 1.7 and retails for $749. It produces 87 dB at 20 Hz. It goes low enough, but at that depth, it is not very loud or powerful. Dividing the 749 price by 1.7 means that each point of shake power costs the buyer about $440. This sub has lots of boomy mid-bass for relatively little money.

Compare that to the SVS tubes in the same price range and I bet you find they give Klipsch a run for their money.

2.gif