To buy, or Not to buy ....

formica

I've come across a deal on a set of Pro Klipsch Lascala of 1980ish vintage... acceptable shape and pretty inexpensive at just under 1000$cnd. Is this a good price?

Ok guys, like many of you, I have bought several heritage speakers over the past years, always looking out for others. As my signature shows, I have setup a 4 channel system that I'm pretty pleased with, but I set out looking for a single or partially working set to build a DIY center. I find this Pro set of Lascala, which are quite a bit Bigger than what I was looking for... what would you do? Will it improve my sound or worsen it given their limited bass extension...

Use them as mains, move the Cornwalls as rears, and the Heresys as center and rear? This definitely won't fit... but I could maybe store them till it will. Part them out?

I don't have the serial numbers, but they have the AA crossover, K-55V and K-77M, and I believe a K-33-E woofer.

I have to decide before the weekend... my girlfriend will KILL me... 9.gif

formica,

I saw the same pair but had to pass due to more pressing needs. I saw another pair with an asking price of $2500 cdn, so I think $950 is a very good price (and probably you can get them for less). Go for it. It shouldn't be too difficult to recoup your money, if you decide to sell them later. BTW, why by the weekend?

We are all shopping at the same places i see.... 9.gif I mentionned the weekend because I already took an appointment to go see them... and if they are nice, i'd like to decide on the spot. It works out to about 600$US but hopefully he'll go for less...

The components *seem* the same between the Pro and the standard version except it has a 2 section cabinet (but NO handles 1.gif )

I guess I'm just worried about their size and that they will sound like a downgrade from the Cornwalls. I guess I could always have the worlds largest surround speakers 9.gif

Rob

PS: i shouldn't look at classifieds when i know the TAX man is gonna come knocking... 8.gif

Formica,

I have Industrial Lascala's. Here is what I did to achieve the ultimate perfect sound in my Opinion.

1) Mine came with mismatched woofers and neither were factory. So I installed new klipsch K-33E for $200 to my door.

2) I dumped the original industrial AL Xover and scored a AA Xover for them. This made them perfect to my ears. You may also find other protection devices on the tweeters get them out of there too.

You may find the factory K-43 woofers are fine but from what I hear they don't reach as low as the K-33

There a fine sounding speaker and I think they reach plenty low enough for 95% of the music out there.

I won't tell you what I paid 1.gif it was a incredible deal !

Craig

$1,000 for La Scalas? I paid $950 US for my Forte IIs a year ago. Granted they were made in the final production year and mint, but I still kick myself for paying this much.

I've never heard La Scalas but at that price don't just buy, run to the place like it's a 5 alarm fire and lay down the cash! I never stumble into these deals.

Mike

Thanks guys...

Seeing that these already have the AA crossover is only a good thing... The current owner believes they have the K-33 woofer but has never opened them to check it out as the previous (original) owner gave him this info at the time. He's used them in his home for the last 10 years.

NOS: Are your cabinets in 2 pieces? Do they basically look like a black birch Lascalas? I've never seen a *Pro* set before, so I'm just a little curious before I go.

I guess I'll see what he's willing to let them go for... 1.gif and probably I'll give them a try at home. Not often you find a set within a 20min drive.

Later...

Rob.

PS: both me and the girlfriend are *industrial/EBM* models... 9.gif

----------------

On 4/25/2003 10:09:32 AM formica wrote:

PS: both me and the girlfriend are *industrial/EBM* models...
9.gif

----------------

Yeah, well I figured with a name like "Formica," you were at least very durable...

2.gif

fini

OK, I went and see them... definitely "form follows function" with the flat black paint, metal corners, and plastic edging. The internals are all original with a little surface rust on the x-over (I didn't open the bass bin though) but the cases leave a lot to be desired. They have been patched and repainted long ago, and the protective edging doesn't look original... they are ½ plywood which I had read somewhere here that was common for the industrial/installed products... and pretty ugly especially versus the regular birch boxes. 14.gif They are missing the front Logo tags.

Because of what appears to be filler under the paint, I don't think they are refinishable... The way I see it, the easiest solution would be to replace the cabinets (the plans are pretty simple) but this adds significantly to the price... I don't think the internal components are worth that much... even if they do have the AA x-over.

This was also the first time I listened to a pair of LaScala's ... I finally understood the limited bass extension that many post about. The sound on the Cornwalls extends noticeably lower... and more balanced to my taste.

I didn't buy them there... I'll consider the cabinet replacement -or- I part them out and rebuild one centre channel...

But i might just pass on them...

Thanks guys.

Rob.

PS: maybe I could just recover them in tacky "Formica"? 9.gif

Formica,

All pro lascala's I have seen or read about were all 3/4" plywood.

Maybe the ones you saw were home made copys?

I have owned the 2 part lascalas in painted black epoxy texterd finsh and the rarer model with the aluminum side and corner trim.

I find the two part one to be worth a lot more than the one peace. One 2 part set just sold on ebay for around 1500 and a top half only (mid /high horns and crossover just sold for 535.

You rarely see the pro.s for sale and just about always for more than stock units.

New they cost about double what stock ones cost.

I attached a pic of orig klipsch pro lascala two part in both styles.Did they look like the one on the Right?

The klipsch tags were orig mounted on the inside botom of the lower cabnet and painted logos across the top unit and some on the sides.

600 seems real fair as the parts are worth more than that if it has the pro speaker in the bass bins and the pro crossover brings good money to a pro users that wants to convert a stock unit

for high power use.

The pros used the same speakers except for the bass and crossover

post-7786-13819247089412_thumb.jpg

Well I can't guaranty that the cabinets were original or not, but they were correctly built in terms of dimensions and which sides overlapped the others. It was recently confirmed in another thread that klipsch did build some of the installed theatre (for example the heresy) in ½ rather than ¾... which I found odd as well. They didn't have any handles either which leads me to believe that these may have originally been used as an "installed" speaker. The edging and the corner protectors may not have been original (I don't think installed products were ordered with these?) but the "feet" definitely matched my other klipsch as well as the screws that hold the drivers on.. The woofer "hatch" was on the bottom like the current regular versions. I could not find a serial number on the back, but the edging of the top case did cover the plywood edges.

As I mentioned, they have definitely been repainted, so there aren't any obvious logos on them now... but the components were definitely correct: K-55-V mid with Klipsch horn, K-77 tweeter (no letter after the 77) and a Klipsch AA x-over. I don't know the AA well, but it looked pretty basic without the bunch of overload protection I see in pics on some other pro-lascala, but I'm really not sure about this. Remember these are quite old, with the original series x-over and Alnico high and mid. At that price, it would mean that each component would need to be sold for 75$ average... which might be true for the mid horn but not for the x-over with surface rust.

It resembled more the left cabinet in your picture, but the HF cabinet has the same width as the Bass bin (it isn't tapered to the rear). I know if I rebuild the boxes it'll improve their WAF, but may hurt/kill their resale. It's quite a bit of money for a DIY center. The seller is supposed to contact me this week... I could always see how negotiable he is.

Do you have any more pictures of the industrial series? Klipsch doesn't seem to have any left on their site... :(

Later...

Rob

Formica,

I did find a 1980 klipsch pro catolog showing the pro line at the time.

It is a bunch brouchers in one folder I forgot I had them.

I dont have a scanner and my digital camera is on loan til next week.

I even found a dealer onlypro price sheet from 85 .

I talk to a klipsch dealer a few years ago and pic his brain about old klipsch .

He did tell me the lascala was orig built as a pro speaker in the 60,s and basicly unchange except for drivers over the years.

I am 99% sure They never made them out of 1/2" plywood.

Why would Klipsch cheapen one of there best sellers?

Hornbuilder must Know about the build in the early days?

As far as klipsch making cabnets out of 1/2" ply the only ones I know of was the real old/

Heresys from early 60,s late 50,s. They switched to 3/4 in the later 60,s when higher output speakers where made as the !/2 would vibrate at high output.

The 80,s spec sheet which says both theatre/clubs perment installs ect. specs 3/4 quarters for all.

The theater and pro speaker were the same specs, same speaker.

I love to see some pics of this 1/2" lascala must be real real rare.

I dont think the AA crossover was used in the 80,s pro lascal .

I will have to look at my 1980 one which does have full protection with 2 fuse.

Klipsch did make square top cabnets for the lascala in the 90,s

But it would have the newer drivers with plastic horns ect.

Post a pic of the lascala if you can.

formica,

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. I found another pair of black LaScalas in Montreal, but I am not interested. The owner said they were from 70's and he's asking for $1600 cad. If you are interested, let me know and I will give you his phone number.

Thanks for the heads up... but right now i think i'll look more for another set of small Heresys (same bass, smaller size) or maybe even other Cornwalls (more bass, almost same size)...

Funny how all this started when i felt like a DIY centre channel... 9.gif

later...

Rob