ksw-12 help

geetz99

when setting the power mode to auto on my ksw-12 the unit doesn't kick on for about 20-25 seconds regardless of the volume setting..is this normal?im using the sub out on an onkyo txds-575..question2..if i use the switched outlet on receiver for the sub and leave toggle switch to on,when i turn off the power the sub makes a grunt or passes wind.is this nomal?thanks for any help..

Both are totally normal. The turn on and turn off delays are there to avoid having the sub turn on when you don't want it to or to turn off during quiet passages.

The grunt noise is also normal, do not worry about it. Just the sound of the sub getting ready to do some heavy work.

Is it ok or recommended to use the switched outlets to power a powered sub? I thought that those were for more low current types of equipment (tape decks, etc).

What would happen in a loud scene with lots of bass? Would the sub take power away from the power supply of the receiver, there by limiting the amount of power needed to drive the main speakers? Or are these outlets simply a pass through, and no different then having the sub plugged in to the same outlet?

I have never seen info on this. Just curious.

------------------

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan - The switched outlets on my receiver have a maximum amperage or wattage rating. Yours probably do to. Take a look at the back, and compare the rating to what your sub draws in wattage or amperage. If your sub exceeds the specified rating on the switched outlet, plug it in elsewhere or put a relay-type outlet in that will turn on when you power on the receiver.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...
Textf>

In hooking up the KSW-12; is just the LFE cable adequate for HT and music? Or should the mains be wired in also?

Is it normal for the sub to be so hot in back?

Help is appreciated as this old fogy is about 45 yrs behind the curve.

geetz (if you're still around), do u have both L&R inputs of the ksw connected? u shouldn't have to plug it in to a switched outlet. that's why u have the auto.

buylow, do u have both ksw line inputs hooked up? w/ most receivers that should do it. but u may need to set up the receiver so that it sends music/cd low bass to the sub.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-23-2001 at 08:36 PM

buylow, yea then your receiver is creating a signal for your low bass (probably filtered around 80hz) & also sending that to it's sub out(or they may incorrectly call it lfe out). if u set your fronts to small then it sends the low bass only to your sub.

u may want to connect both the L(lfe) & R inputs of your ksw for more sub output. in sum, your sub is connected by the line cables. lfe can be a misnomer - your sub can also get low bass.

give this a look:

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

buylow,

Forget the sub/out, LFE (all confusing...) connections. Don't settle until you've tried hooking the KSW12 directly to the speaker outs of your receiver via speaker wire. Hook up your mains to the Speaker outs of the sub, dial in your crossover frequency, set the volume, and walla...done. No more confusion. HT, Stereo, LFE, low bass...It all goes to sub, and takes over where the mains leave off. No more confusion. Works for me, and I've tried everything. I like it set around 60-70 hz.

One thing..remember to disconnect your RCA cables when you do this. You only need one connection (speaker wire), and the manual states not to have both hooked up at the same time. Be sure to set mains to large, sub to off/none, and rear and center to small.

T-man

This message has been edited by t-man on 05-25-2001 at 01:16 PM

t-man, a minor downside to using that hook-up is the lfe is combined w/ the low bass to the fronts. lfe is meant to be entirely sent to a sub thru it's seperate channel/line connection. accordingly, i've found i do get better lfe using the sub/lfe preout of the av receiver.

no cut & dried answer here unfortunately thanks to the makers. guess we just have to make do w/ what we think sounds/works best through our continuing experimentation. Smile.gif peace out.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Boa,

You aren't entirely correct. As I understand it, LFE was created not for home use, but for theater use. Rather than requiring theaters to upgrade all their speakers to handle the low frequency effects bass that movie soundtracks were adding, they decided to decode all that low frequency bass effects, or LFE, into a sperate channel. That way, they could just upgrade their subs, and have dedicated speakers for this added oomph!.

In a Klipsch situation, most of us have speakers which are capable of the "oomph" factor. (ask Horned. He hates this problem) We still like our subs, because it frees up the mains a bit from being stressed out.

What I'm trying to say is that main speakers can handle LFE. However, most of us like to have a sub to take care of the lowest of lows, and so we tune our crossovers ackordingly. Just so happens most of the LFE falls into the realm of frequencies we prefer our mains to leave up to the sub. In the orginal intent of the .1 in the 5.1 systems, subs were needed because the smaller mains just couldn't handle the bass.

T-man

yea t-man but keeping in mind that lfe is a seperate channel, even for our ht, there's something to be said for sending each channel to the speaker it was mixed for. but since lfe is mostly the lower lows, no big dif if your mains can handle the bass w/o straining the mids/highs too much.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the input. What I know fits in a thimble. I did wire my mains and sub together (that sure improved the 2 channel sound). I also left the LFE cable in place to catch the .1 from the DVD's. Is that harmful? I missed the part that said not to use wired and LFE together. Also, I have all my speakers set to small. My wife likes a lot of bass and it is my understanding this setting moves more sound (so to speak) to the sub.

Once again - thanks

buylow,

When you remove that LFE or Sub cable (Which I think you should), you will notice that you will have to turn your subs volume up quite a bit to get the same level of bass. With both connections, I got a loud amp squealing at higher volumes, and the manual DOES say not to hook up this way.

In order to get all your LFE and Bass, you NEED to set your fronts/mains to large, and set sub to none/off. If you aren't using speaker wire, and only the sub/LFE out, then you are correct in setting them to small. It doesn't move more sound to the sub, but rather moves less bass to your mains, which frees up your mains to handle the mids and highs. You have to choose one method or the other, and not both.

What kind of receiver and speakers do you have? This may help us a bit here. Where is the sub? In a corner in proximity to the fronts?

A wife that likes bass....cool (:

T-man

t-man

I'm going to try your suggestions. I like the wired sub as it sounds much better on the CD's. I did find in the manual where it said not to do both connections.

I will disconnect the LFE; set the mains to large, and turn the sub off/none.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5250 with RF-3 mains; RC-3 center,

RS-3 surrounds and the infamous sub.

Thanks for input. (Wife is happy with the more volume part)Smile.gif

there's a dif between what lfe was created for & how it's being used by sound engineers today, which is what i was trying to refer to above.

case in point: a concert dvd like Eagles Hell Freezes. do an a/b with speaker vs. sub preout/line connections & see if there's a dif. believe me in all my trials & tribulations, there is a way to get these receivers' bass management to work right w/o constant adjustment &

w/ all formats. Biggrin.gif god's speed!

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Hear! Here! Boa! Thanks for the above reference... it frames well this important aspect of bass management. I would go a step further and say that the LFE issue was designed as a cheap upgrade for sub-standard theater sound... and should be rethought along the lines of home consumer realities. The potential for better bass management is just not that far away given what the industry has access to. Maybe we can see some new directions from that innovative Klipsch company and its entry into the amp world??? Biggrin.gif HornEd

great point ed! designing a preamp/receiver & mixing a

soundtrack w/ our subs/speaks & bass management issues in mind is the way to go.

i think that's what u call being market oriented vs. production oriented.

& it seems some are catching on. klipsch is moving in the right direction w/ that mondial acquisition. probably won't be long til we have to have that new gear Eek.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

"If you build it, they will come."

Oh yea, don't forget to keep us budget limited folks in mind, too. Like Denon's 60 w/ch stuff, let's get some low powered high-end stuff to use with our efficient Klipsch!!

This message has been edited by t-man on 05-29-2001 at 05:56 PM