ksw-12 help

geetz99

Ok I think I'm happy with my sub wiring. Thanks to Boa and t-man for their time and suggestions.

I tried the sub wired as t-man suggested.... sounded pretty good. I went back to the LFE/sub-out on my receiver with a y-connection at the sub; disconnected the wire. This sounds just as good with music and I thought better with DVD's. Now my only question is "Does the on/auto/off switch on the back really turn the sub off" Mine is still hot to the touch after turning switch to off and giving it time to cool.

Buylow,

I'm glad you found a method that pleases you. I think room and speaker location characteristics are perhaps the most critial control parameter with these sub set-up issues. Yooz gots to try everything cwm1.gif

Your sub should not be "hot to the touch". Mine is a bit warm when it's in use, but not griddle hot. The "auto" position works very well with mine, and would recommend using it.

Troy

T-man, buylow, Boa12 and HornEd.....I have the KSW-15 as my front sub wired with both, speaker wire in parallel to my mains(KLF-30's), as well as having the Monster Sub-Cable to a Y-splitter to the LFE In/Bypass and the Left input. My rear sub (KSW-100) is wired the same way but using rear sub pre-out.

I have had this hooked up for almost a year now with no problems. The reason I use both is because my Marantz SR8000 will not send sub out signal unless in DD or DTS mode (Boa12 is in the same boat with me) so I rely on the speaker level inputs for my sub signal when listening in 2-ch or 5-ch stereo.

Is this really bad to hook up this way??? For me it has been the only way to achieve the best volume levels and sub signal for all listening (DD/DTS/2CH/5CH). I have volume levels on both subs at around 12:00-1:00 and KSW-15 at 50 HZ and KSw-100 at 70 hz and have what I would consider to be house shaking bass.

I would like to hear how BOA12 settled on hooking up your VEL HGS-18. Even better would be to hear from BobG, Trey or PhilH from Klipsch on the "real deal" as far as my wiring mess goes.

I will be doing some comparisons this weekend with each separately and post results, but I have to agree with T-Man that the safest most universal hookup is speaker level inputs....that for me increased volume/output of both of my subs.

I thought I was done tweaking.....

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Niles in-wall volume controls

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

hey bloomis, still waiting on the hgs to get back from the shop. they did give me a vel fsx-12 loaner.

i'm getting sub output also from all sources on every mode except direct. go to direct mode when i wanna listen only to the klf-30 on music cd(pcm source).

if u play a 5.1 source in direct the sub will go there (since the source has that .1 channel.

i just have this vel hooked up from the sub out to both

line inputs via Y-adapter & the vel's crossover out/bypassed. i've found w/ this if i set the fronts (& center) to small i don't get that nasty overlap on the music between the klf & sub. hate to set the 30s to small, but when the hgs-18 comes home it should be able to handle all the low bass (&lfe) for all pretty

handily.

cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!