Interested in a new turntable

derik

I bought a new sony turntable about a year ago for $100 and now regret it (I've learned a lot since then), so I'm now looking for a new one. I've seen some good looking technics turntables on e-bay, but don't really know much about them. It seems that most of them are for dj-ing, which I will not be doing, just listening to vinyl. Does anybody have any input or suggestions?

Go to budget audiophile-grade belt drive 'tables like the Music Hall MMF-1 or the Pro-ject 1.2 (between $200 - $300, including arm, and sometimes the cartridge). Both these least-expensive high-end 'tables have excellent reviews, and their specs are far superior to some DJ-like direct-drive 'tables.

I have a DJ-like technics SL-1800 - direct drive bought in 1977 (I was young and naive). The salesman demonstrated by pounding on the TT with his fist while an album was playing (didn't skip or budge). I'm considering replacing also. It's adequate but not great.

Gotta agree on the Music Hall (MMF) tables. While I was waiting for my Clearaudio Champion TT to be shipped, my retailer loaned me a Music Hall MMF 2.1. I almost canceled my order for the Clearaudio. The MMF sounded great. As a matter of fact, very soon I will looking for a used MMF 5 to employ in a second system for my bedroom. BTW, the Clearaudio does sound better, but definitely not $1,500 better.

Good Luck,

Chris

I just noticed that Red Trumpet has the MMF 2.1 for $269 with cartridge. This would be a good way to get into a decent belt drive and with a warranty.

Depending on how far you want to go with a TT, another suggestion would be to upgrade in parts. Get yourself a better cartridge then save up for a better table. I ran my Shure on my old DD JVC for a few months before a friend helped me get a new TT (Thanks again Dan!).

----------------

On 4/28/2003 10:19:20 PM derik wrote:

is that a website? i couldn't find anything if it is.

----------------

Sorry...my bad. No, the wording was confusing, but you can check out www.audioadvisor.com as well as Red Trumpet. Also www.needledoctor.com has good deals.

Would back recommendations for either the Project or the Music Hall models.

In many ways these 2 makes have been the most important development in vinyl in the last 20 years - bringing really decent sound at bargain prices.

Over here, in Greece, Project dominates but mainly that is a distribution issue. I was talking yesterday to one of the main distributors for the country and he reckons he is now shifting 40 units a day - not bad in such a small country for a dead medium!!!

From what he was saying the project models are the item that has kept him in business over the last year or so - economy being what it is.

Anyway all that is by the by - get one or other and you wont look back. The only problem you will then face is the question of where to go from there - that is my issue right now.