Question about bit resolution on CD players

wireless

Back in the 80's when CD players were new, they had "bit wars". One company said 1 bit D/A was better, the other 16 bit, & another said 32 bit. I don't remember any winners. Some sounded better that others.

It depends on many other items before & after the D/A converter. I have said it before... Let your ears do the choosing.

For another point of reference, I tried to use the digital out on my mid-80's hi-end CD player to connect to my receiver, which has a much newer & higher data-rate D/A converter. It sounded bad, almost grainy. Using the analog connectors, it has a much better, smoother sound, bass is better, highs are very clear.

Again... Let your ears do the choosing, not the advertising team.

Data on a CD is stored as an 8 bit word. The first 7 are level steps and the 8th is ± polarity, thus you get 14 bits (eight to fourteen modulation).

A 16 bit DAC allows for oversampling and digital filtering, the goal here is to avoid brickwall filters at 20Khz.

24 bit DSP chips use 8 bits for housekeeping (math processing) and 16 bits for the signal.

djk,

Are we really at odds here? CD audio or a wav recorded on a CD is 44.1k with a 16bit resolution. You can't write a 24bit wav file to a redbook CD. The way that info is stored is a different matter, as you point out.

Marvel